New to the group & to Jags! Looking for my last project and have questions

I rebuilt many a TR tractor engine, and I have no conception how that could be!
:exploding_head:

1 Like

I deleted…15 characters

So after thoroughly inspecting the car I’ve made the commitment to purchase it. It is a VERY unmolested example of a 1970 SII in amazing condition albeit non-running. It has 2 body issues: one is the floor of the boot where someone backed onto something that stuck up high enough to make damage to the floor and taillights. Bumper was saved from damage! The second is a small (about the size of a dime) hole in the driver foot well, also seems to have been caused by damage. Everything else is crazily solid. Odo has 46k on it, and given the condition of the body and interior I’m inclined to believe it’s true. All tags and decals are there, bonnet is in pristine condition with not even a dent. Paint is of course “patinaed”. No rust in the fuel filler area, paint measured the same everywhere I tested, and all glass is in great shape.
Hope to get the new project home in a week or so! Then I’ll be bugging the heck out of you all! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Like some of you on here, I have traveled that road more than once, and when a car comes up, we get all excited and start dreaming about driving one again. Having owned five at this point, I can say with considerable certainty that the best of the bunch was the one I bought new. For the record, it was not perfect by a long shot, and most that I have seen before an immaculate restoration are loaded with things unseen and non-working. Yes, my new one leaked and used oil. In all, I had the new one for about two years and traded it off. But, like malaria, it just keeps coming back, and we are hooked.

Lots of photos please so we can oo and ah over it

2 Likes

We all look forward to seeing what you’ve got. From what you’ve posted sounds like you found a keeper.

1 Like

:needpics:

4 Likes

I’m eager to post pics, but having some trouble getting the car in my possession. The last date this was titled was 1977 and I can’t find any further info on it. Any suggestions on how to research?
The title is from Missouri and I’m in California. Been on hold for hours (collectively) with the MO DMV.
If I can’t retitle the car I might as well walk away now…

Does the seller not have a clear title? AFAIK, a title is “forever” but registration is an annual event. Do you mean the car was last registered in 1977?

As far as research goes years ago you could contact the DMV in many states and after you provided proof of your ownership, they would give you a copy of whatever previous title(s) they had on file. There was a nominal sum for this service. I traced the 2nd and 3rd owners of my old 2+2 this way; I bought it from the 4th owner. My understanding is that today most, if not all DMVs won’t give out that information to the general public, citing privacy concerns.

Brian

Have you checked xkedata.com?

This is a database of E-Types as found on the net nearly anywhere. The Database Master (name escapes me) was a regular on here, but not so much lately. He has made it a personal challenge to capture data on all 72,515 E-Types – he has photos/ads/notes/updates on 23,175 of them (~1/3 of them).
No fee to use it. Have your Car Number handy to search his database.

Roger Los?

Yep, checked there. Pretty sparce info - seems it originated in Sweden (which doesn’t seem right given the title date) and last seen in 2005

I guess “clear” is subjective. There is a title but it is not in his name, nor has been updated since 1977. I remember 1977 and nothing was clear then! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

That would be Roger Los.

To me clear means unencumbered, no lien holders. So, there is a title and someone else’s name is on it as the owner. How did the guy you are dealing with acquire the car? Inheritance? Gift? Did he buy it and never transfer the title?

I had an experience recently where I bought an XK-140 in about 1988 and got a title from another state signed off by a previous owner, not the agent I bought it from. I never got the title transferred at that time and a month ago went into the Secretary of State to finally transfer the title. I was really nervous that they would insist on fresh paperwork and probably all the people involved in the transaction are dead or in parts unknown. Remarkably, and maybe because the SOS people were familiar with me, it skated through without incident. What a relief.

I recommend that you go with the seller to the SOS office, make sure they approve transfer of the title to you, and only then pay him.

Rod

Thanks John. Yes, as far as I can tell the lien holder - South Side National Bank in St Louis MO - released the title Jun 21 1976. It looks like the owner - name of record on the front of the title - signed over on Nov 21 1977 to a person here in California. I’ve done a Google search and found that person deceased Feb 4 2014. The person I’m buying from (a dealer) bought it from a dealer, and neither of them retitled/reg’d the car. They are now working through the paperwork… I’ll let you know where it lands

Thanks Rodney. Great idea, unfortunately the SOS office is about a 10 hour drive, not something I think the seller will be willing to do. He is, however, working through the paperwork and has guaranteed me, in writing, that he will refund all my money and take the car back if I have any issues getting the car titled.

Here is another approach to an old car and a questionable title. I went to the local DMV and told them my situation. From there, I got a police officer to fill out a form showing the ID or VIN on the car. Back to the DMV and they searched the records. Most times, the data only goes back 5 years, so there was no record. I asked if I could get an Historic Vehicle title, and had to pay five years back taxes on the current value of the car. At that point, I was ready to do anything to get a clear title in my name. If you decide to go for a refund, then that is your alternative. Good luck on that one.

Brian

I tend to trust people until they give me a reason not to, and you hopefully have an honorable seller, but once they have your money you are at their mercy, and trying to enforce that promise of a refund would be expensive at best. If there was any doubt at all, you could also escrow the money pending receipt of title. That was you both are protected. I assume the reason he never titled it was to avoid the taxes.