New to the group & to Jags! Looking for my last project and have questions

What aboutholdingthemoney in an escrow account

1 Like

The story does not make sense to me (as a forensic accountant). The last titled seller signed it off in 1977 to person in California who owned it without titling or licensing it until (at the latest) 2014, and then it has passed through at least two dealers (and who knows who else) for another 9 years? Two dealers holding a car without selling it for 9 years also seems very strange. I would for sure escrow the money as I think there is a good chance the title transfer process could be problematic. It is completely possible that there have been unsuccessful efforts to get the title cleared up that they have not shared with you.

2 Likes

Plan ‘B’ would be to simply have the car, and tinker with it from time to time with no intention of making it drivable. It would be a showpiece in your garage or living room, and you could make up stories of when you raced it in your youth. No need to register or license it. And that insurance thing…

1 Like

I remember my nightmare trying to title my XJ12 in California, when I bought it from a “dealer” who worked with charities. Basically, he disappeared before I got a title and I had to get the DMV to investigate. In the end, what I remember being told to do was to apply for a lost title in my name. I think I had to see if anyone else laid claim to the car before it would become final. That was about 25 years ago and I still have the original new title in my name.

A more recent and much more complicated title nightmare involved my partner’s Renault LeCar. It was just about to be crushed by the junk yard which had recently acquired it from the owner, who was in the midst of a bitter divorce and wanted to get rid of the car as quickly, and with as much spite for his soon-to-be ex, as possible.

He sold it to a junkyard for $300 and told the court that his soon-to-be could “split that”. He probably did not anticipate that the junkyard would get $1200 out of it. When contacted about providing the title, he basically said that he couldn’t because the court might find out that he could have gotten more money for the car.

Now for the nightmare part. Because the car was originally sold with a title, the state of California required a title for it to be registered in the state. Asking the state of NY to produce a replacement title resulted in a denial because my partner was unable to provide the name, address, etc. of the last titled owner of record, along with a letter from said previous owner stating that the car had not been stolen from him.

Four different calls were made to the California DMV, which resulted in four different “determinations” about whether what was being attempted was even possible. Finally, an agent at a remote DMV office, fielding customer support calls, found and sent an extract of the relevant California DMV regulation that applied.

Trips to two different DMV offices, along with extensive debates over the precise meaning of the regulations at hand, and convincing the agent at the second office to call Sacramento and actually ask the department with the authority to make a decision, and the application was finally accepted by the agent, with the caveat that the fees ($200) paid at that time were non-refundable because it was an extraordinary process. My partner was told it could take 45 to 60 days to just get an answer, and given a phone number to call and make inquiries.

Thirty days in, my partner called and spoke with someone in the department that was performing “validation research” on the provenance of the car. After a considerable amount of time on hold, the agent came back to the line and informed my partner that they had found the application at the bottom of a stack of forms to be input into the system. The agent, hearing that it had already been 30 days, move the application to the top of the stack, and told my partner to call back in 14 days.

Two weeks later, my partner was informed that research was done in NY state, which found nothing for the car, but that there was some indication of some kind that the car had been imported from Canada. :man_facepalming:

My partner told the agent the entire story, after which the agent indicated that they already had enough information from their research-to-date to understand that the car was not stolen, nor legally titled in any other US state, nor . . . imported from Canada. A title was sent within the week . . but all was not over.

After the title was received, it was necessary to schedule a visit from a VIN code validation agent . . . basically a fancy notary public. They charged $175 and issued a statement that the DMV accepted, because apparently all manner of people lie about VIN codes on cars. :man_shrugging:

With the statement and title in-hand, it was finally possible to register and license the car. All told, start to finish, the process took almost a year . . . primarily because so many people at the California DMV had no idea about what to do in this . . . apparently very . . . unique case.

1 Like

Hey all. Thank you again for the great feedback, banter, and trips down memory lane! I finally made it happen and now have a 1970 E Type roadster in my lineup of “to be restored”. Once I figure out how to post pics I will do so.

3 Likes

3 Likes

Is this a legit plate? It doesn’t look like others I’ve seen

If it’s not then somebody went to an awful amount of trouble to produce it.
IMHO yes its legit.

The later Series 2 cars (like yours) have a data plate that does not have the lubricant table under the component serial numbers as the earlier cars did. These abbreviated data plates also used a different process for the background black which means that it seems to wear away much more readily. Your plate appears typical to me. Find something else to worry about! Congratulations on your E-Type!

I certainly don’t recognize that.
LLoyd

I’m suspicious of people who don’t like dogs.
But I trust dogs who don’t like people.

I am not familiar with Series II XKEs, but my understanding is that the data plate ought to look like the below.

Moss Motors calls this the commission plate applicable to series Is and IIs.

While Team CJ shows different styles for the 3.8 vs 4.2
http://classicjaguar.com/cjparts/dataplate.php

Oh, by the way: Can you share the details/highlights/anything regarding the it’s-titled /it’s-not-titled / the-title-exists-but-is-old-and-from-a-different-state horror story???

As David pointed out above late in Series II production Jaguar changed the plate to one that was essentially just the top third of the old plate. The lubricant’s section was eliminated. Very similar to the Series III data plates.

And it was mounted as shown in that photo above?

I believe that’s correct. I can only guess at the reason(s). Cost savings? Constantly changing oil specs and availability of specific brands and weights? Better to put it in the Driver’s Handbook?

If there is any doubt, just go to the xkedata website and view the data plates of E-Types built around the same time as yours. I think you’ll find that yours is “correct”.

@Craig_Balzer RE the title saga - well, it’s not totally done yet. I bought it from a dealer (broker actually) who has a connection with a third party DMV person. Here in CA it’s OK to use a third party like AAA or the like. In this case they use The Tag Stop in El Cajon CA. They completed the VIN inspection and did the title/reg paperwork, reg’ing it as non-op (only in Cali). Anyway, seems legit and I tried to cover my bases as best as possible taking pics of everything as we signed it. I’ll report back WHEN (staying positive!) I get the title and reg. Probable around late August is my guess.

2 Likes

I wanted to close the loop on this story - today I received the title! I now have the registration and title in my name for the Jag. I guess I really own it and can get parts ordered…

Thanks to all for the input and handholding!

Brian

2 Likes

Congratulations! And DO please post some photos!

1 Like

Excellent. The die is cast. No turning back now. :grin:

I think we all look forward to seeing what you’ve got.

I just added a link to the Google folder with the pics to my profile. The good & ugly all there!

If the link doesn’t show there, here it is also https://photos.app.goo.gl/iPbPDyRhq6rmhhXw9

I should note - the red hardtop was NOT included, but since I’m in SoCal I really didn’t want it. I know it’s valuable, but just another thing to store in my already cramped space.

4 Likes