New turn signal switch harness wires to original 1961 wiring harness colours don’t match

Bought a new turn signal switch and wiring harness for my 1961 Etype (7) wires. Colours don’t match originals. Does a wiring diagram exist for this installation?
Many thanks Doug.

This might be the post you are looking for. There is no question that hasn’t been asked here before, so it seems…

Hi David. Thx for the graphic on the signal switch wiring. My issue is the new switch setup from SNG has the (7) wire setup but are different colours. They are braided blue, braided brown, green, green and white, dark blue, smooth brown, black. The braided ones go to the dipper function, green and white match. That leaves me with solid green, solid blue, solid brown, and finally black. Might you have a suggestion as how to proceed without burning things up?
Many thanks
Doug

The link I provided a link to gives a mapping of the mismatched wire colours of a 3.8 indicator switch to the wiring loom. I assumed that this was exactly the problem you had run into. It seems, however, that the SNGB switch you have doesn’t match the information in the link either. Have you asked SNGB for the information? If it doesn’t match the original part, you’d think they would provide the information. It should be possible to deduce it by operating the switch and monitoring which wires become connected together, but that’s a puzzle I’d rather not pursue if the vendor can oblige.

Great stuff everyone . Looks like I should contact the Tech desk at SNG. I’m just trying to avoid making a little problem into a big one.

Hi Doug
Did you ever get a resolution to this wiring question?
I am at at the same point. New switch and what wires go where?
Thanks
Mike

Hello Mike,
I don’t have a picture to hand, but if you hold the switch assembly so that you’re looking at the wiring terminals at the back, with the stalk of the switch point vertically up, the following applies:

1. Top, Horizontal Row of wires - Light Green/Yellow on the Left, Black in the Centre, Light Green/Blue on the Right. These are for the direction indicators on the Dash Board and connect to Black/White, Black and Black/Red Loom Wires respectively.

2. Centre, Horizontal Row of wire - Green/White on the Left, Green/Broun in the Centre, Green/Red on the Right. These are for the Indicator Lights in the Font and Rear Light assemblies and connect to Green/White, Green/Broun, and Green/Red Loom Wires respectively.

3. The Bottom Horizontal Row of wires - Blue/White on the Left, Brown on the Right. These are for the Headlight Flash and connect to the Blue/White, and Purple Loom Wires respectively.

Regards,

Bill

Hi Bill
The colours are different on the replacement switch.
They are braided blue, braided brown, green, green and white, dark blue, smooth brown, black.
I’ve contacted MR where I purchased and dealing with them to see what they can supply. The initial response from them was for me to purchase a service manual. :man_facepalming:
Probably have to bring out the multimeter and sort it out.
Thanks
Mike

Hello Mike,
The Trafficator Switch assembly is a new replacement from SNG Barratt and correct wire colour code as the original.

By looking at the back of the switch as explained in my previous Post and labeling the colour of the wires as I’ve stated in my previous Post, you should be able to connect the switch correctly.

Although the wire colour coding is correct for the unit sourced from SNGB, the major issue with it, is that the Die Casting of the part that the stalk fits into is wrong, forcing the winged shield that should fit just inside the Steering Column Shroud, circa 5mm further out towards the tip of the stalk and therefore, preventing assembly of the shroud. The original Steering Column Shroud for an S1 Car is Die Cast, while later series is moulded plastic. This prevention to fit may only apply to the original Die Cast Shround and their After Market part may fit. However, from a restoration point of view, original parts should be, if serviceable, refurbished and used. The original Die Cast Shroud for the S1 Cars is a sought after part.

Regards,

Bill

Hi Bill:
The only reason I ordered a new switch is my original is missing the section of the switch that operates to dash indicators. I’ve asked for pictures of a complete on in hopes that i could construct a replacement part. I had no replies.
Mike

Hi Bill
On your advice I tried the new switch in the die cast housing.
It does not fit… :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:
I will be in touch with MR to sort this out.
Wiring colours:

Wont go any further with this in hopes that someone has a photo of the missing part in my original switch.
Thanks,
Mike

Hello Mike,
I’ve covered the issue with the incorrect Physical configuration of the switch assembly, on this Forum, including picture comparing original with new production parts, asking Forum members to send pictures of original S1 devices to me.

The only way to fix the problem with the new part being supplied, is to remove the shield, reshape the Die Cast part to allow the Shield to move closer to the centre line of the part, reattach the Shield in the new, correct position and repaint the part, tantamount to buying a dog and then having to bark for it.

On the strength of my advice and pictures to SNGB, they have taken steps to rectify the issue with future production.

I recently purchased from MR a number of items, including front shock absorber upper mounting rubber bushes for an S3 E Type and Dashboard centre air vent for an S2 2+2. Following are pictures of the absolute rubbish air vent part they supplied:

With the shock absorber mounting bushes, MR say that its the same part for all Series and of course, that old chestnut of “We have sold hundreds of these bushes with no issues to date” is trotted out. This is despite the fact that the shock absorber top mounting bolt for an S3 car is a larger diameter than S1 and S2 cars. The packet the part came in states that its for S1 and S2 cars. The issue with the bushes supplied is that there is no way the larger steel sleeve of the S3 is able to fit in the small bore of the bush from the packet marked for S1/S2 cars.

So, good luck with MR and your New Turn Switch. No doubt they have sold hundreds of these Turn Switches with no issues to date.

Regards,

Bill

Tony at SNG told me that the earliest turn signal switches were different than the later ones: I sent him mine, and they rebuilt it. My car was an November 1962 build.

Hi Bill
It will be an interesting journey… thanks for your help.
Would you have pictures of original switches as I would like to recreate the missing piece from my switch?
Thanks
Mike

Hello Paul,
All Turn Signal Assemblies for S1 Cars were the same throughout production. The big change came with the S2 that had a totally different Stalk and where the Horn Button was the Stalk. S3 Cars have exactly the same physical configuration as the S2, except that Stalk is a solid assembly. For S3 cars that I fit an Overdrive to, I install an S2 Turn Signal Assembly and use the S2 Horn Button Stalk as the switch for the Overdrive.

Regards,
Bill

Hello Mike,
Yes, I can supply detailed pictures of the parts you require, but there are comparison pictures of the Original and New parts on this Forum.

Regards,

Bill

This is not true. The Series 1s had 3 different Turn Signal Switches.
3.8s from the start (1961) Lucas A-37SA type, Lucas #34361 Jaguar #C16069
3.8s some time in 1963 (car S/Ns 850726, 879551, 861198, 888767) through to 4.2s some time in 1966 (car S/Ns 1E1453, 1E12034, 1E21206, 1E32200) Lucas D-85SA type, Lucas #34791 Jaguar #C25254
4.2s some time in 1966 (car S/Ns 1E1458, 1E12034, 1E21207, 1E32201) to end of S1s Lucas B-131SA type, Lucas #35531 Jaguar #25256

In terms of the position of the winged shield from the centre line of the steering column, they are all the same.

Bill,

I’m not familair with the position of the wings on the stalk, so I’ll take your word for it. However, for the purpose of Mike’s question, the difference between his switch (presumably C16069) and the others is significant if he wants to find the part that is missing.

All I can tell you, Bill, is the one that they sent me, did not at all match the wiring of the one that was in my car, and I happen to know that it was as-delivered from the factory. You’ll have to take that up with SNG!