Oil pan chop help needed - can it be done?

Yea, I asked ho much less the dry sump pan extends, as opposed to stock: received no answer.

As you can see, it’s something, but not flat. Any luck locating a 2.4?

I gave measurements a few posts ago. Not sure how one manages ‘expectations’ better than by giving hard data?

My engine is currently standing unsupported on the central rib. It’s not as stable as the wide standard E sump but it’s steady enough, even with the attached transmission canted to the right at 8 degrees from vertical.

Thanks for pointing out the earlier post: I missed it.

Not to worry: I suffer from zero expectations, wrt to us communicating.

Heard of a recently rebuilt one today, now on the chase.

Others that were pulled out and replaced with bigger jag engines. Been sat for 40 odd years.

Not many 2.4’s available here.

Yes Peter, your post did give a detailed description and measurements together with a photo. Thank you.
I was expecting the sump to be much slimmer, but then I knew nothing about this system, was just looking at ways of reducing the sump size.

More than here, across the Pacific puddle…:wink:

Your problem, it seems to me, is the fact you want a shallower sump at the front. Anywhere else would be comparatively easy to reengineer, but relocating the oil pump is a biggie however you try. Far bigger than moving a water, steering or electricity pump. It would usually be easier to alter the running gear. But you know all this anyway and I look forward to pictures of the car.

So… any progress?

Hi Paul,
I’ve managed to find good 2.4 engine (1967, not a 240)or so I’ve been told, with b type head. The head was off and all looks good, putting it together, cleaned and painted.
With some cutting of the frame and slightly lowering the rack I reckon if I place the front lump of the sump over and ahead of the rack allowing 0.75 of an inch clearance on the flat section, bearing in mind the shorter engine height, it will bring the engine forward and allow bonnet clearance as required.
That’s according to my tape measure and cardboard sump ‘replica’.
Time will tell, when I finish prepping the engine and attaching the gearbox, setting it up in place and lowering the hoist
Should know in a couple of weeks if it’s successful.

1 Like

Aha, back again, thought I would throw another question out to the Jaguar universe.

16 inch D type replica wheels, (quoted Aus$1700- each)

Looking for 16 inch rims, has anyone found a 5 lug jaguar lookalike wheel?
Holden/GM did a stock 16 inch wheel, looks very similar, not been able to locate one yet to try during this lockdown.

If so, can you post a pic.

Thanks again,
Kev.

How goes/went the engine install?

Hi Paul, all good, went to plan.
Engine,transmission fitted.

We need pictures! Otherwise, it didn’t happen.

:grimacing:

1 Like

1 Like

That’s cheap £930. Mine cost $1200 each for five. Who sells them for your price?

PM me on a deal for some used originals.

Hi Peter, ‘that’s cheap’ wasn’t a phrase that came to mind

What is the bolt pattern on the hubs you are using? Early hubs (1950’s) are 5 x 5", later hubs (1960’s and newer) are 5 x 4.75".

Hi Mike,
Must be the latter as xjs wheels will fit but mk2 won’t.

These are plentiful here, (drill small hole in between) thought I would get one to try.
We’re in lockdown at the moment so will need to be patient

1 Like