On going rebuild

I am currently building the sub assemblies for my latest project, a Linder Nocker Low Drag, but with some differences. It will have ventilated brakes front and rear with corresponding caliper upgrades, a 5 speed gearbox and initially a 4.2 E Type engine, in mild race form.

Some pics of progress thus far:

The shell is currently in build and hopefully be available for paint in May/June (this year)

1 Like

Beautiful work Pat, thanks for sharing.
Cheers,
LLynn

Hi Pat, are you still in Middleton road ?? Wondered why you have that hose loop linking the oil cooler ports, 22mm copper stop ends on Orings seal them, or is this just to keep dust out prior to actually running an oil cooler ?/Is that an alloy plate on the rear cage ? better thickness than standard tin which deforms easily…

Hi Pat…looking good…like the NRG quick release on the steering…I was looking for a quick release but the only E type options were very expensive…came across the NRG slim.and modified the boss to fit as you have…so a ready made unit off the shelf …fitting details on the UK forum if anyone needs it

As you rightly point out, the loop is there prior to fitting the oil cooler pipes. Also the return line will be replaced with a better engineered solution. Bottom plate is anodised 12 mm aluminium plate, still to fit the tow bracket.

Regards
Pat (still in Middleton Rd)

Hi, thanks for the note, I believe I got the idea for the ING QR from you off the UK forum and it works very well. The only addition I done was added a spacer under the wheel to bolt the wheel to as the wheel holes didn’t align with the adaptor and I didn’t feel comfortable drilling more holes in the adaptor. As the car is basically S1 and a bit of a racer, the horn button will be bakerlite and dash mounted.

Regards

Pat

Some more pictures:
This shows the amount of relief required to accommodate ventilated discs and larger calipers. It might also be necessary to chamfer the lower wishbone to prevent it fouling the disc.

This shows the modified handbrake forks to allow for the wider disc. I was originally going to rely soley on external springs to return the pad carriers but went belt and braces and fitted both

Modified handbrake mechanism, been done to death on the forum and seems a good option for little outlay

Jeep rear cover, needs a baffle fitting to the breather aperture, and a hole drilling and tapping for the breather aperture

trial fit of the tow eye. Will leave it off until the axle is fitted to prevent a) hitting my ankle,again and b) damaging it when moving this lump around the garage.

What I am eventually aiming for.

An other serious build from you.
Looking really good Patty. I wish I was able to drop in and see it.

Patty?

Pat or Patrick or Oi you! but not Patty please. This side of the pond Patty is reserved for the females.

I apologize profusely and should know better, being married to a Yorkshire lass. Great work to be admired never the less, Pat.

No apology required and thanks for the comment

I like it. I always thought the Linder Nocker was the prettiest of the Lightweights. In case you need any more encouragement here a a couple of photos I took of the original chassis number at Goodwood in 2011. If the articles I read are accurate hard to believe this is the same car from after the crash.

David
68 E-type FHC

Looks good Pat. Define what you mean buy larger rear calipers.

Hi Norman
I have fitted later girling calipers from a S3E. I believe these calipers were also fitted to XJS,12/6 and others.

The caliper is split and a distance piece fitted with longer bolts to accommodate the wider ventilated disc. Overall the caliper is physically larger than the original caliper carrier and 2 piston rear brake assembly.

To obtain the larger aperture the cage edge is heated rolled outwards and excess trimmed, minor fettling might be required later to ensure access to handbrake caliper bolts.

When next on my desktop I will post a picture.

Regards
Pat

That sounds like what is in my car Pat. You are welcome to put it up on the ramp and take a look. Mine fitted with just my having to chamfer the inner lower edge of the arms as they would have fouled the discs if going over a hump backed bridge.

The discs and calipers came from a racing XJS - the previous owner was told to take them off by scrutineers so one assumes they weren’t standard fit.

kind regards
Marek

For anyone thats interested in the Linder…I went to see it at the CMC launch day…there was a really nice brochure on its rebuild produced…extracted from Ultimate E type by Porter Press… has great photos of the mangled car as it was found and during the rebuild

I wonder if I will ever get to an age where pics like this will fail to excite me ?? I can go back to 1956 when on my DouglasMk5 motorbike I pulled into the path of a Dtype being driven by Bill Boddy of motorsport who lived a few miles from me, I had completely misjudged his approach speed, he slowed alongside me , gave me a hard look, then I was aware of the fin and alloy body and that glorious snarl as he booted it away from me, seven years later I got my battered 140 and went looking for steep hills !!

Hi Marek
Thanks for the offer, but the IRS is now finished. There are a couple of points to note. My cage is S1 yours clearly S3 the aperture being much larger on the S3 therefore doesn’t need fettling.

Interestingly as I had used Rob Beere supplied ventilated discs I didn’t need to chamfer the lower wishbone, they must have worked out the dish required.

As they say a picture is better than a thousand words:

The picture below is of the car ahead of mine on the “production line” . Mine will be identical. At present it is a series of sub-assemblies waiting to be married together on their master body table/jig. At 63 I find it incredible that I can still get excited about such things.

If anyone has fitted a wiper system to a low drag, (single or double) I would like to pick your brains.

At 62 I would say there’s something wrong with you if you COULDN’T get
excited about that!! (unless you just weren’t a car guy)

Fantastic

Best, Alan

1 Like