Original 34k miles 1963 coupe on BAT

Great reference photos!
@Harvey_Ferris

1 Like

Interesting: thatā€™s just far enough away down the road from the production of my E-type to have the wider, ā€œcoupeā€ seats in it

Just looked at the rest of the pictures, itā€™s the first time Iā€™ve seen a car advertised that extensively, with documentation of paint thickness. Very nicely done.

Are those original hubs? :smiling_imp:

1 Like

Yes!!

No!

Yes!!

No!

Yes!!

No!

:wink:

1 Like

Thatā€™s pretty common amongst the Porsche boys

I wish I still had my 1967 E-Type 2+2, even though it was not in anywhere near the condition of that one, mine was my ā€œdaily driverā€. My friends called it the ā€˜Silver Bulletā€™ as it was silver and I drove it that fast ā€¦ well, sort of that fast.

I love seeing all that documentation. That is a beautiful example of a beautiful automobile!

1 Like

Yes, the overall level of documentation is a standout IMHO

1 Like

Great reference photos!

Indeed!!!
Everyone should read the letter the second owner wrote. Photo 218. As he noted, it is remarkable some the items on the car that remained in good condition.
And yes, I did note the hubs.

Are you referring to the ā€˜never had a knock-off hammer to themā€™ appearance of the knock-offs?

If all the POs were smart and used a lead hammer, theyā€™ll always remain looking new.

1 Like

Paul, none of the Jags Iā€™ve owned had been cared for that well by their PO.

But, thatā€™s likely why I could afford them.

3 Likes

Not only the documentation provided is exceptional but also the condition of the car, both well preserved and well maintained (just what is needed to keep driving this car), a real challenge never seen by myself.
A very few non original pieces that had to be replaced for safely driving the car, as probably the repro of the Marston radiator.
To my eyes (I am not an expert), the pictures are very interesting to keep as a database for any E-Type owner considering a possible restoration down the road.

1 Like

Because I am currently restoring a 63 FHC, this one will certainly go into my Favorites to refer back to the photos as the need arises. That is one good thing about BAT, as far as I can tell, the ads remain retrievable forever. I do find myself wishing the seller had posted even more photos. As I mentioned in another thread, one still has to be careful when reviewing pictures of any car. There are will always be the temptation to say ā€œWell, that car settles itā€. And it really canā€™t, 100% at least. But this one comes close!

Based on the other thread about heater dash hoses and fitment of the radio console, look at photo 89. There seem to be two extra dome nuts at the 2 and 8 oā€™clock position of the speakers that I have not seen in other photos. Maybe an artifact of a dealer installation of that AM radio?

Regarding paint thickness readings, I agree that I see this in the Porsche world, as they seem to apply a premium to original paint. I gather it is supposed to identify a respray situation? Or areas of massive filler? The thicknesses run from 2.5 to 4 mils. I checked my Glasurit tech manual and I suspect you could take a body down to bare metal and put a modern primer/single stage topcoat paint job on at 3 to 4 mils, in a perfect environment. Anyway, I suspect the intent of the dealer/seller is to show that it is original paint, just like the photos of the Triplex logos to show original glass. Based on all the other supporting documentation, this is just icing on the cake.

Unless specifically redone to keep the mils low, any modern restoration prime and paint, IMO, will read higher than the 2.5-4 mils on this car. That is indicative of original paint and is an important indicator to the overall life conditions and health of the car. Filler, of course, will give MUCH higher readings. If the original paint is great, a car of this quality has had a pampered life. The interior reflects it too. Mils on brand new factory cars today have similar thickness ratings, at least, mine do.

1 Like

I should get one of those paint thickness doohickeys d and test the Jeep: who knows, it mightā€™ve been re-sprayed sometimes during its life, and that could lower its valueā€¦ plus lessen my pleasure of driving it this coming summer.

:smirk:

3 Likes

It isnā€™t matching numbers and you donā€™t have the correct Cheney clamps. I wouldnā€™t worry too much about it.

3 Likes

Spectacular example!

===========

Is my turn signal on???

2 Likes

Yes,a beautiful beast indeed.
However, the cat on the key fob looks more like The Thing from the Fantastic Four :blush:

The numbers match on the chassis and the titleā€¦ Thatā€™s all it really counts!

I donā€™t think Cheney clamps were used on the later XJ6ā€¦ :slight_smile:

That said, I do have some lookalike ones from the Rover, if that will assuage your concerns.

:wink: