OT, My TC/Q Special is finished

A few of you showed interest in what else happens in my shop when the Jag is running and stopping.

In Nov. 2017 started with a bare '48 MGTC frame, engine, F/R axles left over after a TC had been parted out in 1977 after a failed restoration start. The new body was made to my specs in England arriving July 2018. I cast the MG branded trans cover in aluminum. I wet sanded the body to 1,000 grit and then buffed, about 150 hours. In total, it took about 1,200 hours.

The supercharger was found in Switzerland.

MG TC/Q Special.
TC for the chassis. Q for the body style. Special 'cause its custom, not factory. There were 8 original Q race cars built in 1934. There are now over a hundred! Tribute cars, of course.

5 Likes

Wow! I can’t think of anything else to say…

Plus 1++…

Gorgeous! (20 chars)

ditto. breathtaking maybe… really amazing work

Absolutely stunning work! Congrats

That looks great. I am going to ask the question that everyone else is too polite to ask. How much did this cost ignoring your labor. I realize that could be a touchy question especially if you have plans to sell it so feel free to not respond if you do not want to share that info. I am just curious about the cost to get something to that high a level.

Did not expect that. Stunning piece of art !
Great work !

Beautiful work Mitch.

A thing of beauty…

Simply fabulous. Outstanding.

Mitchell;
A wonderful use of a ‘parted out’ MG TC.
Your time and effort is well rewarded!!

Regards, Joel.

What a nice car and fantastic workmanship, good on ya!!!
pauls

People like shiny things… I’m a people. Great looking car

This is wonderful. Front end looks similar to a SS100. Is that supercharger out in front of the grill ?

David
68 E-type FHC

Back of the envelope, $52 to 56K.

Yes, sorry I forgot to include that. I had to make (acid etch) a new brass plate, the original was missing.

1 Like

Spectacular. My guess was quite a bit higher. Have you had it out to see how it drives?

No. I’ve still got a punch list the get through, and MG’s preoccupation with marking their territory will require dropping the pan to look for an out-of-place sump seal. In other words, it’s left a larger than normal puddle of oil at first start.

I’m assuming it’ll drive like a tin can being dragged by a rope. It’ll be FUN!!!

I enjoy driving. Really driving. I like the need to scan the gauges, wrestle the steering wheel, call down for more steam, wipe fog off the inside of the windshield… New cars are boring.

3 Likes

Beautiful car, Mitch, and amazing workmanship. The gentleman who did most of the restoration work on my Dad’s Auburn many years ago fabricated a similar reproduction of a '30s supercharged MG special. No cool polished aluminum, though.