Passener seat "BACK" was tipped forward and cannot get it backward to a good position. Driver's side words like a charm

A friend has moved my passenger seat BACK to a forward position and I cannot get it to release with the handle raised upwards. The driver’s side works like a charm. Any help will be appreciated.
Sincerely,
Valkyriekid (Bob)

Bob,

What Series E-Type do you have? It might make a difference. If it is the same design as the Series 2, there is a horizontal bar behind the bottom of the seat back. If you push down hard on that (towards the floor) it may be more effective in releasing the seat back recline mechanism.

-David

Sometimes the seat belt hold down in the corner of the floor gets caught under the bar going across the seat bottom which will prevent the lever from releasing the seat mechanism. At least this has happened to me on my series II.

Phil, thank you very much for the reply I will check that out

davidxk
David Langley
Patron

October 13

Bob,

What Series E-Type do you have? It might make a difference. If it is the same design as the Series 2, there is a horizontal bar behind the bottom of the seat back. If you push down hard on that (towards the floor) it may be more effective in releasing the seat back recline mechanism.

-David

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

Maybe time to pull out the seats and clean the moving parts?

Bob
You might follow what Phil said about seat belt, then gently lift the lever and check to see if the lever has any “free” play before you feel tension, if so it could be the cable has got caught underneath. Next try giving the lever a sharp pull upwards which may release it. I had similar problem and it turned out to be the cable and mechanism underneath. Removing the seat is easy enough so is well worth taking it out in any event, and the drivers seat and giving them a good clean and light lubrication. The side lever comes apart easily too.
Tony

Tony, I can feel the bar moving on both sides of the passenger seat. I tried to sharply raise the lever and nothing. I have pushed down on the bar and nothing. In taking the seat out, do I: Slide the seat forward and remove the two screws in the back which may be an odd head, and then slide the seat back to get to the front screws and lift out?? Did I hear there may be a shim under the rear rails and to replace them on the seats return. Hope that will do it. Now, how do I clean the mechanism?? Thanks again for your input and any help!!-----Bob (from the rear looking at the seat, my right seat belt and anchor are presently pulled away from the seat to the rear—I forgot to check the left side near the tranny hump)

Tom, is that as easy as removing 4 screws/bolts? Do the rear first and then slide seat rearward and remove the front two? Shims under the rear rails??

Thanks,

Bob

Two posidrive bolts in the rear and then lift the back of the seat rails a little and pull the seat backwards. This will disengage the pins in the front of the seat rails and release the seat assembly.

Doug, is the reverse the way you put it back in is it easy to get the seat lined up on the rails to push forward? Fortunately they pushing down on the bar and wiggling after about 10 tries, I was able to get the seat back in position but still not great so I think sometime this winter I will pull the seat lube everything and try to make it work perfect like the driver side does. Thanks to everybody who helped on this form. By the way mine is in 1968 2+2 1.5.———BOB

Unless your carpeting is messed up install is just as easy as removal.

Bob,
Rather than confuse go to the E Type Forum, put in “Seat removal Series II “. This has a very good description of exactly how to do what you ask, as it sounds as though this will your best option.

Hope this helps

Tony

Bob
It occurred to me I had missed part of your question.

Cleaning, once rye seat ha been removed you can then remove the sliding rails, which are likely to be covered in rubbish. Once out you can then clean them with any of the usual cleaning agents using an old paint brush or similar. Once completely dry put just a very light coating of grease on the sliding surfaces. The reclining mechanism is easy to remove and install, but before reinstalling the seat, test that it functions properly. Sometimes the cables can stretch and will not allow the mechanism to release the pill from the dogs on each side of the mechanism. It may only release one side due to the stretch and will need a little adjusting to make both sides release.

Let us know how you get on, as those following can often pick up valuable tips.

Tony

Tony, releasing the “pill
From the dogs” sounds exactly like my problem. I will also go to the website and look up the seat removal— this form has always been very informative and helpful to me and I’m sure to thousands!..Bob

Bob
My apologies, I really should read what I had written, so please excuse my errors.

What It should have said is that there is a pin(not pill), if you can imagine at each side of the seat recline mechanism there is a semi circular plate into which are cut a number of notches or dogs as I referred to them as, then the end of the cross bar is shaped a little like a pin at the end. When you activate the recline mechanism, the cross bar rotates to remove the end of the cross bar out of its current notch allowing the back rest to be moved forward or back before locating into the appropriate notch and locking the back rest into position. So it is the cable rotating the cross bar that enables repositioning of the back rest, and hence if the cable has stretched or moved, then there is no longer enough movement to operate the cross bar to release the seat.

I hope that is a little clearer, but have a look on the SNG Barrett site at the diagrams of the component parts to the seat and you will see a diagram of this whole back rest assembly and this mechanism in particular, which may give a clearer understanding of what it looks like and also perhaps how it works.

Again my apologies for the fat finger syndrome earlier, but hope this clarifies what I was trying to explain.

Where are you located Bob?

Tony

Tony, I live in Erie Pennsylvania. Where might I find the SNG Barrett site-I hope that is a website. I found it easy to replace my radiator with an aluminum radiator from cool cat, so I’m sure this won’t be too much of a challenge once I see diagrams and again thank you so much

https://www.sngbarratt.com/English/#/US/home

Bob
SNG Barrett is one of the largest suppliers of Jaguar parts in the UK and Europe, they are also in the US at Manchester NH, so should be easy for you to find. There are links on sngbarratt.com, they provide a series of diagrams for all of the different areas of the cars, such as suspension, body panels, interiors etc. Virtually every component down to the last self tapping screw is shown in an easy format so you can see how parts are fitted together, with an easy order facility. The diagrams alone are worth a visit.

If you are looking for wiring diagrams I would also recommend those from Coventry Components, which although a UK company, the books are available in the US. Once again this company has broken the car down into fundamental areas like the engine, dashboard, lighting etc making it very easy to follow.

Check out Barrett’s and see how you get on
Tony

1 Like

Tony, I went to Barratt’s site and even called New Hampshire office and he did not know of the diagrams. I did see “body panels” but did not see interiors where I guess that is where the seat knowledge will be. Any help how to find it on the site. I went to the one with digital download.

Thanks, Bob