Pete Petersen's OTS for sale on BAT

Steel with Nord-Locks:

Haven’t moved an iota in the 3 years since I installed them:

After he helped with the installation of these, one J-L member went home and took a look at the nuts on his studs to confirm they were tight. Well, he was able to look at 4 of them - the other 4 had gone AWOL!

Hmm. I have been losing the brass nuts off my exhaust downpipe studs like crazy. I think it’s time to buy some socket cap screws and Nord-Locks.

–Drew

At the very least, the Nord-locks would be easy to try. I used these knock-offs sold on eBay:

I wish you could buy an E type as good as that in the U.K. For that sort of money!!!
Then I’d sell my 1969 MGB roadster, and own a Jaguar! Instead of just working on other people’s engines!

Hey Crespin - if you’re going to correct a Canadian then get your facts right. In North America they were marketed as the Austin Marina, but think we can agree that they should have been marketed as “The Shed”.

My sister’s '72 was that '70s “harvest gold” colour (i.e. baby poo) with a black vinyl roof. Even when the bell heater worked it would, given the right ambient conditions, develop an ice block in the carb and get stuck at WOT, regularly causing me to miss my highway exit. I would turn the ignition on and off kick about on the “accelerator” pedal, stab at the brakes and eventually there would be a “bang” while the “engine” digested the lump of ice.

“Accelerator pedal” was a misnomer… it should have been referred to as a “vibration control input”. It was a cunning design, the vibrations shook the rust flakes out, exposing fresh metal to salt, water and air. My sister’s car eventually folded up when I took the rear transmission mount out to change the clutch.

The 8 track tape player would change tracks on speed bumps or downshifts.

A mendacious thing it was, we were all glad to see it go.

Harvest gold would have/is called Karitane Yellow in NZ
Karitane Nurses were the ones that were mobile to visit the new mothers after they had left hospital with the babies to help them with the post natal responsibilities.

Reminds me of the constant war between motor mouth Clarkson and the Morris Marina Owners Club. He hated the car and would take any opportunity to buy one to destroy on camera. I recall one being crushed by a falling piano!

are they steel or SS ?

years ago i had a custom exhaust on another vehicle and it had outstanding fasteners,

they were grey, SS, with 12 point hex 10mm head and 11mm nuts, after a lot of hunting around, found out they were Caterpillar (Earthmoving) fasteners, not available to the public, and most probably pilfered

i took that exhaust apart a few times and never had any trouble at all

ARP makes 12 point in steel and stainless, imperial and metric.

(many Alfas use 12 point nuts on manifolds.)

There are a couple of differences.

Clarkson spends time, money, and effort to destroy them - I spent time, money and effort to keep it running.

Clarkson worked day hours and got paid - I would get a call at 03:00, usually during a snowstorm, and my sister would say “I need your help”, to which I would usually respond “Are you less than 1000km away from home?”, knowing full well that the answer would be “Yes”.

It may sound strange but I hope that I can say that one day about my freshly restored car. I consider it part of my bucket list to enjoy every minute in the car and to finally have had enough of it…hard to imagine though.

And yes, you have been missed by all!

Great find, half the price of what I’ve paid.

Would these work on the headers-to-head ports as well ?

Patrick
'66 FHC

I suppose if those nuts are a problem a correct size Nord-Lock might help - but I, for one, never had any trouble with simple brass nuts on those studs.

If you are asking about replacing the studs on the head with socket head cap screws - I would think that would not be good as those studs thread into aluminum and you don’t want to mess with that connection going forward.

Tweety has the steel socket-head bolts, has for years: I just made sure to use my old lead-based No-Seez on them (my supply of which I jealously guard!!) and they NEVER fall out.

Frankly, I have never had an issue with the brass nuts, on the head.

BAAAAAAhahahaha!!! Stealing!!

Nuts with the bolts, Wiggy. I want to know about the guitars you picked up with the profits from the sale. I just bought a Martin D 15 all mahogany acoustic. Plays great and smells awesome.

Thanks Geo,
Just ordered some :grinning:
Cheers,
LLynn

Oddly enough, I bought only one guitar, a el cheapo one for traveling!

I actually acted like, ya know, and ADULT, with the proceeds: paid off ALL unsecured debt, made some long-needed improvements to the marriag–er, house…:)–and just banked the rest (the little that was left over).

I m eyeing the new Guild F50, though…:wink: