Preloading the outer pivot shaft bearings in SIII

I know the SI XJ6 had 2 spacers in the fulcrum shaft and necessary shms would sit between them

My 1982 factory 5 speed SIII has only one shaft and any necessary shims go direct onto the bearing at one end. Not sure if some cases would have shims on both ends.
Anyway my Factory WS Manual printed in 1986 has instructions for the earlier style.
I am thus unsure how to set the prpeload on the bearings correctly. Nothing useful in Archives.

Anyone tackled this job with my setup?
Thanks in anticipatin.

Peter

I’m not sure about your set-up, Peter…

On conical bearings the ‘preload’ is just a way to set the bearing clearances right - expressed in torque. The closer the two parts of the bearing is adjusted the higher the resistance to turning - adjusted by shims or whatever to spec ‘preload’…

Typical example; the front wheel bearing - tighten nut while feeling the resistance of road wheel turning and prescribed backing off to get the ‘proper’ bearing clearances…

So you need to look at your setup to find out what gives. As an aside; with ordinary ball or roller bearings the clearances are set at manufacture - not adjustable…

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

Does it matter whether there is one or two tubes? The important factor is the total distance between the two bearings and as long as the correct preload is achieved, it shouldn’t really matter, IMO. Just set the total clearance as you would for the S1.BTW, I’m assuming we are talking about the outer hub fulcrum taper bearings.

When I dismantled the pivot bearings one of the shims was on the outside and was the same dia as the bearing but in another case the shim was on the inside and had the smaller dia of the small end of the bearing cone. I finally concluded that to bring the bearings closer together add an outside shim and to increase the clearance add a shim to the inside.
The Jaguar W/shop Manual describes only the 2 spacer setup which IMO is different in the placement position of shims using the single spacer setup.

Anyway I think I have got both pivot bearings setup correctly although I am concerned at the torque required by the Manual 90 to 110 lbf/ft which to me seems excessive and which I was not prepared to try and achieve as I was heaving on the torque wrech fearing that perhaps it was faulty.
Anyway at my age of 75 I think my setup will see me out.
Thanks to those who offered guidance.

The tube and small spacer are there to set the bearing preload, and the outer shims set the side clearance between the hub carrier and the wishbone, although obviously they affect each other. You could set the side to side clearance correctly with outside shims, but not have the correct bearing preload, possibly affecting the lifespan of the bearings.

1 Like