Progress... at least aesthetically

Looking forward to getting this long block finished and IN!

10 Likes

Wow, THAT engine is beautiful! Put it under glass.
I also like the stack of Mexican corn tortillas dyed in colors of the British flag in the top left!

Lovely, clearly that’s the kitchen so chances are you’re single?

1 Like

Aesthetic, indeed!

I agree lovely…artwork really

It should be an enshrined human right that dudes can have car parts in the kitchen

5 Likes

More to come, just dropped carb bodies off to be cleaned, tops are polished already…

I recall somewhere on the forums, someone talking about the different acorn nuts (used on cam covers) some with a hard shoulder and some with soft. Mine (ostensibly original) are soft. Which is original?

Before picture of engine bay for posterity.

Also, anyone know about why my carb caps are round and knurled, not flat on the sides?

Fitment by vise-grips perhaps?

lol I dont think so- they look like they were manufactured like that.

NOTE: I am looking for one, as one of mine is missing the “piston” part.

I don’t recall any discussion of different acorn nuts.
There are shoulders on the inside of the cam covers to strengthen the hole areas. There are soft copper washers under the nuts.

The round carb dashpot caps are found on earlier pushrod models.
Mark V -

SS saloon -

on the SS there is no “piston part” i.e. oil flow damper on the cap.

The hexagonal caps came along with the XK120, I think from the beginning.
You should probably get two hex caps and sell or give those round ones to a pushrod owner.

Agree with Rob… see attached pic of the earliest (that I) known H6 carburetter. The H6 carburetter was developed by SU for the proposed new model XK120, albeit intended to be available for other large engine marques later. And I cant say about prototypes, as to date none identified as such but the earliest dated H6 is E3 (March 1949) with the first apparent batch of H6 from two months later E5 (May 1949), and all as originally fitted on 1949 build aluminium XK120s… See this example - it has my only known E3 plus an E5 as ots pair…, with the topic under comment being both have original HEXAGON Caps on their dashpot dampers - albeit lost their nickel plating

So its a safe bet, and indeed evidence supports, that all H6 carburetters, as fitted to XK120/Mark VII/XK140/Mark VIIM indeed only had HEXAGON caps - despite many other components in the build of an H6 carburetter over its period of production 1949 to 1957 evolving…

Hi…yes iv seen a post very recently re the shoulder on the acorn nuts…showing a different machining on some repro ones…but cant find it on a search …Steve

Here are some originals.

and three interlopers from other sources.

and one on my '74 XJ12.

I don’t understand what could be meant by the terms hard shoulder and soft.

Hi Rob…thanks for posting… the drawings i saw focused on the “shoulder”…the step between the dome top and the flat sides…on yours the “shoulder” slopes down(soft)… it showed the repro as much less slope…more horizontal …Steve

Heres mine- I have another set of acorn nuts, but if these are correct I want to keep them…

Am i seeing that correctly…dome with no “shoulder” ?

Yep, these were on the cam covers. Car had (has) not run since 1974. Engine number and head all match the body. so these and the carb damper tops seem one off?

hmm. upon closer inspection, the cam nuts prior to dismantling had more pronounced shoulders…maybe the re-chroming filled them in?

A closer angle… hmmmmmmmmmm

Think youve answered the question

SO, I am back at it- Engine is almost built (need to lap the valves and build) and almost have the engine compartment stripped and ready for paint. The drivers side fender had been bondoed over a bunch of wrinkles, in this pic I am about halfway done with straightening things out.

To the left is about 3 hours of work, and to the right 4 more to get the smooth finish. I am really happy with this car- not too much body work, and its coming out great. Hammer, dolly, shrinking disk and slap stick. Lather, rinse, repeat.

1 Like