Put Trans into Neutral?

Yes those (selector hubs, they engage with the synchromesh) should slide, but will be somewhat difficult as there are spring detents. You should be able to force them back and forth with the cover off, and verify they are not stuck. If they are frozen then I’m going to guess the car has been sitting for a long while, and the lube has drained back out of them. The pictures of your box look clean, so I suspect if you can get some oil into the parts and work them you might be fine. If you are going to bump them I would suggest a block of wood and a mallet so you don’t scar the parts.

Hi David,

Yes the car has been sitting for a long time. So should I just squirt some oil and work them free?
Bob

If the selector rods were gummed up with heavy oil deposits then it’s likely the rest of the gearbox is too, in particular the synchro rings may be stuck to the gear cones. I suggest a potential path forward would be to drain the gearbox and refill it with varsol, jack up the rear wheels and spin them around awhile. The gearbox oil pump is located at the rear so this action will circulate the solvent and should - I’ve never had to do this so it’s all theory on my part - unstick the synchro rings and allow you to engage and go through the gears. You may need to do a couple of oil changes after you drain the gearbox of the solvent to make sure you get it all out.

It may be time for a rebuild.

Nick and all,

After working the rings with oil a piece of wood and light hammer taps, the rings were freed…

All selector rods now move nicely and shifting is smooth.

Thanks for your help!
Bob

I’ve had a couple of boxes apart where the reverse shaft bush had stuck to the shaft and spun in the casing. Everything inside was as if it had a thin rubber coating. This film only came off with Acetone and elbow grease. I suspect that this was a result of some magic additive.

I wouldn’t suggest filling a gearbox with Acetone, but Varsol is worth a try.

Hello Andrew,
I can’t see how that would be possible, The Reverse Shaft is a firm sliding fit directly in two bores in the case, no bushes, and is prevented from rotating by a Woodruff Key engaged in the rear face of the Gearbox Case. The only bush is a Perforated Bronze Plain Bearing in the bore of the reverse gear.

Regards,

Bill

I stand corrected. (It was a while ago.)

Good stuff. Enjoy. It really is a nice gearbox.

Wellllll… it’s OK, as gearboxes go.

I judge everything off the BEST shifting ‘box, ever: Datsun 1200!

A good KE or EJ ‘box is fun to shift!