Radio install shocking!

I’ve installed many radios but this has me baffled. Usually I just ground n connect power ( of course speakers too) n all works great. The new retro one I bought has a constant n switched power wires. I just connected to switched power wire n it didn’t work- actually fuel pump was coming on! N ground would spark when connected. I called radio maker n he said you have to have both the switched n constant connected appropriately n separated.
Any thoughts guys? I imagine the power wire ( blue) would be switched from the old radio. ( A Becker that was on the blink- only one am station would come in) where do I get the UNswitched from the fuse box area?

Yellow n red are the positives for the radio. And last sentence I mean to ask where do I connect the constant power on wire ? Besides running all the way to battery

Any brown wire is constant power and unfused.

Red wire (switched power) to white at the fuse box.

Yellow wire (constant power) to brown at the fuse box. This will drain your battery if you only drive your car occasionally.

Earth the black wire.

EDITED for radio wire colour.

1 Like

I have retrosound and it works great

Yellow is constant (for memory), red is switched (for operation)

Follow the supplied instructions and all works out.

To be fair to the OP I doubt they would contain the Jaguar wiring colour codes, which is where he has run into trouble.

When in doubt, I use a continuity meter.

I plan to get an altimeter n light wire to make sure I have power n trace it to insure radio even works - thanks guys

Done- works great- thanks guys- kenwood speakers n Becker look alike w all modern features- even CD player when faceplateflips downs. I saved the Becker Europa

• still worked somewhat

That did work but each time I turn on something-touch brake, or a few others- fan, signal, the radio blinks off for a moment n comes back on in a second- memory not lost. I figure I have a short somewhere n radio turns off accordingly?

When I hooked it up as John has whenever I press on brake pedal the radio turns off for a split second- tho memory stations remain intact; aggravating tho.

Hi Chris, I have an S2 XKE OTS, and like you i have unswitched power on N !. On my wiring diagram ( C/O Coolcat Ex corp ( by Kent Holcomb ). I cannot find a Y wire at all !! So I wonder where best to hook up my radio !!??

I kept the switched yellow on the left white wire n switched the constant to the brown wires to the right n put an inline fuse n no prob. I’ll add a pic tomorrow

Chris could you give me details on your radio I am in the market. Amp output and brand name would be good. Thanks

Red on fuse 6 yellow on 3.

great post and pics but how to remove the radio? i have a classic style with cassette player i would like to fit . grateful for any help Ron 1969 series 2 F H C.

Hi,

For any serious installation I would take out the whole radio console, it’s not that difficult and then you can have it on a bench or a table. The console will not fit speakers that are very deep, and I always want to keep the original look, so I never uyse speakers that don’t fit.

Except on the XJ6C I have the Blaupunkt “Satellites” on the rear screen tray, as that car has a Quadraphonic 8-track radio / cassette player. :slight_smile:

Cheers!

PS… Some pics of mine form ca 8 years ago (mono) Blaupunkt Frankfurt form 1972, original to my car #1S20183.

A factory label on the insode of the radio console (Body number is #1461)

A good ground connection for both the radio and the USB charger hidden in the cubby box, the “100” is again one of those mysterious factory markings. :wink:

Man alive, I hope that’s not the user’s manual for the radio the console is sitting on. :rofl:

1 Like