Radio install shocking!

Just picked up this guy: 1961-71 Jaguar XK Series Hermosa Radio – Retro Manufacturing

Not the most vibrant sales team, but considerably less costly than the Vintage Blau guy!

Now for the fun part… speaker shopping.

Hi,

Nope! It’s the factory Repair Operation Manual for Jaguar XJ6 Series 2 & Daimler Sovereign. :slight_smile:
(it says so on the top)

I’ve had lots of use for it. The radio is ultra simple and does work. I use a DIN adapter found on the back of all non-cassette player radios for a 3.5mm miniplug when I want to play my music from the phone (period playlists :wink: )

1 Like

Same radio, different faceplate and knobs. Can be ordered many different ways from Retrosound

1 Like

That’s the configuration I ordered… I think I went with the AM only cover though. Hoping the install is easy.

Red wire should be on same side as the green wires …… in other words …. Fused

It’s very straightforward. Do enough fiddling with the length of the mountings to try and get the head unit almost flush with the faceplate. Lots of options to get it right with the control knobs and head unit all separate pieces.

1 Like

Easy just two screws on the radio frame on sides then pulls out prob have some pics n video on jag forums or YouTube

Hi,

Yes, I have installed a couple. Personally I want period equipment, but understand that many (most?) people want a modern radio with BT, USB etc.

Cheers!

You can google Becker radios n there are many that can convert the inside of your radio guts to new tech- n keep outside the same- passes concurs inspection

Hi,

Yes, and there are many who put either a SBC or an LT1 or an electric powertrain in a classic Jaguar.

I want no part in it. I do not want the radio to look old, I want the radio to be what it was when it was new. period sound, as long as it is still possible. (FM broadcasts still in the air.)

The same thing with the car, I do not want to modernize ANY of it. The MKV gives the driving experience of the early 1950´s and the E-type gives the driving experience of the early 1970’s. (And the XJ6C shows how comfortable it could be in the mid 1970’s).

I do not want to change them, I see nothing wrong in them the way they were designed and built.

The same thing in the 1975 XJ6C, I truly appreciate the fact that I have period Surround Stereo that I did not know existed about ten years ago, and that the tapes and the whole system is from the 1970’s. It’s time travel. I don’t want anything modern there, with the only exception being that as I carry my cell phone I like to be able to charge it and use if for taking pics and videos. And navigating when we get lost (which happens often in Europe).

But back home I don’t use my phone, nor any navigator while driving, why would I. YMMV.

Cheers!

1 Like

God bless you- agree- what’s good is that many resources n support here for whatever we may individually want!

1 Like

Just attempting my new retro install and found something interesting with the old set up (an 80’s Blaupunkt cassette). This purple wire was connected to the center post of the cigarette lighter.

Tried finding an old manual to id the wire/function, but no luck. Figured I’d take a shot here… anyone have a clue?

It’s a noise filter inductor. It would’ve been in the main power lead for the radio. It’s there to get rid of ignition interference. The cigarette lighter power leads are a good place to tap in any radio. That’s how I did mine.

1 Like

I’ve got a line connected directly to the ignition. Would that, and using the lighter post, circumvent the need to tap directly into the fuse box?IMG_4776

I used 1/4” fastons (what we used to call them at work) with the additional expansion tab. These went on the radio power leads and then went on the back of the cigarette lighter socket. Note photo.

1 Like

In case it help here is shot of wiring on the Blaupunkt AM/FM stereo in my '68. Same rocker switch dash and I assume same radio console as you have.

IMG_20201017_173643881

David
68 E-type FHC

1 Like

Definitely helps because I forgot to take a picture of the wiring and couldn’t remember the lighter configuration!

My stereo was an 80’s Blaupunkt configuration with 4 speakers and an amp. Was hoping to leave all the pre-wiring intact and just swap out the components, but the amp was paired to the head unit.

Not sure if I’m going to replace the amp or just clean everything up and go as is, but this thread has been immensely helpful.

I redid the Blaupunkt radio in my 63 FHC and found some very good resources in the process. Here is my thread link: Original Blaupunkt 32471 radio Help

And the link to Radio Museum: http://radiomuseum.org/ Where I got wiring info as well as schematics.

And our own Michael Frank as a collection of info: Michael_FrankPatron

Aug '20

"Sigh! I do all this work and nobody notices:

https://www.coolcatcorp.com/Radios/Radios.html "
Michael’s website is a fountain of information.

And a link to the fellow I found most knowledgeable … and helpful … of replacing and wiring the speakers on these old radios and where I found the proper, high quality speakers perfectly matched to my old radio: Greg Thompson at: http://turnswitch.com/

And finally, one of J-L’s own who knows more about speakers and their parameters than I could hope to learn in my lifetime: @Robert_Wilkinson

I hope some of this you’ll find useful.

1 Like