Radio Repair Recommendation

It does look great!

Turns out that the “official” way to mount the CD changer is by using an additional part (number JLM 10784, then either AEF (rattan) or LEA (smoke grey). But not sure what it is! It could be a full panel system as in Jim’s car (although not shown in the accessories catalogue) or a Jaguar piece of Velcro!

Boot (trunk ) trim diagram at Palm Beach Jaguar
content://com.android.chrome.FileProvider/images/screenshot/16830436203373485651942790242032.png

Or google BEC15593LFH

DAC 10513 is the mount bracket I see in parts diagram at parts.jaguarlandroverclassic.com for the CD changer mounting

Probably the best looking head unit of today’s world of running shoes…!
And looks right at home in the XJS.

Does it really sound good?
Amp or no Amp?
What kind of speakers, sub?
I was seriously considering getting one.

Hello, Pascal:
Has anyone sent you a list of XJS radio models ?
My '92 Convt. did not have the original radio so, I’d be interested in tracking one down.
Thanks.
Best Regards,
Richard Cielec
Greater Metro Chicago, Illinois; U.S.A.

Good morning Richard,

No, I have not received one, but I am pretty sure that originally 92/93 cars would have had the same system, ie an AJ 9150W (part number DAC 6572) as the radio, and, if ordered, a DBC 5130 as a CD changer, and disc charger DBC 5730. You can find those items on eBay or at various breakers but never in a known shape. There is one CD charger on eBay now, see Jaguar DBC 5130 CD Changer Disc Multichanger No Magazine | eBay and a radio as well, but not in great condition.

1 Like

It does sound good, with a couple of caveats:

1: Amp built in, not huge power
2: Designed to work with OEM speakers in good shape
3: No subwoofer output
4: the provided wire harness matches the OEM color tree perfectly (standard radio coloring), it just needs to be spliced into the factory harness / takes about 10 minutes to solder.

1 Like

Hello,
Thank you.
DBC 5130 is manual and, DBC 5730 is automatic, I assume. Trunk location is a bit impractical for me - too much pre-planning to load the player for me. Though, may be useful for audio books scenarios.
Best Regards,
Richard Cielec

DBC 5130 - CD Charger

DBC 5730 - CD Charger Magazine

Richard. The CD cartridge holds 6 CD and loads into the changer.
Then from your radio head in the dash you select between CD 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 or 6. And can select to skip track(s). Or select radio FM or AM. Or cassette tape.
Doesn’t seem too inconvenient to me. I drove 14 hours and between 6 CDs and FM radio I never was without tunes

In my case, we have added SiriusXM to the OEM radio, it has a small touch screen hidden in the glovebox and the satellite antenna is hidden in the back of the spare wheel. When ready for a longer trip, the magnetic antenna gets pulled out and put on the the back of the trunk, size is a square inch and a half. Get full Sirius functionality in a hard to see package. We also upgraded the speakers but used the OEM enclosures so it all looks original but much better that standard and more than enough for my automotive needs, awaiting word of having the original radio functioning!. The audiophile system is at home…

Hello, Jim,
I totally agree with you in that the stock radio and CD changer provide much versatility.
But, I, I’m rather serendipitous with selecting or even deciding to play a CD. No, I can’t see myself pulling off the road to open the boot/trunk and insert a CD or two into the player.
All the best,
Richard Cielec

You will be pulling into a gas station before playing all 6 CDs which you could have loaded, as an optional choice to radio, before starting down the road. While gas is pumping load up another 6… or have a spare cartridge already loaded. Pop one out and pop in another cartridge of 6 CDs. Just saying.

There is a device available that takes a USB drive, and you tune it to an unused radio frequency. It has a range of frequencies to choose from, so you should be able to find a suitable one. Just load up a USB drive with your music selection and off you go. There is a small control panel that allows you to select random, album, genre etc.
You can keep your original radio if desired. The only problem I’ve found is, if you are travelling out of town, occassionally you will come across a station using your chosen frequency and receive interference,in which case you need to change frequency, although here in NZ, these tended to be niche stations with seemingly limited range. You soon pass through it.
Another possibility, if you want to use your phone, is to simply have a bluetooth speaker in the car and tune your phone to that.

One thing I do like about the stock Jag radios (and they’re the only ones I know of that have this) are the local government weather radio stations (N.O.A.A. here in the U.S.). Push a button and you here instantly the latest weather, inc. watches/warnings, for your area. :sunglasses:

Update:

Radio currently at Jeff’s Radio Repair in Phoenix is not repairable as the capacitors leaked all over the boards and destroyed it all. Found another correct radio on eBay, confirmed that it turned on when removed, but this one doesn’t have the four digit code! Found a video online on how to reset any of the AJ 9150W radios to the 1324 code but does anyone know of a way to get the original unlock code?

O.K., Jim … I bought and tried installing that gizmo in Superblue yesterday, but just can’t get it to work. Are you sure they really work in our facelift Jags with OEM radio? :confused: I could get the unit itself to connect to an empty FM frequency on the radio, but after it does it pops right back out of it to that standby mode, or whatever it is, after a few seconds. I also can’t get my Android cellphone to bluetooth to the gizmo … Whenever I try it, it says “no matching device found” or some such. :angry:

Paul , i can’t testify as to it working in the Jag. I used mine in my 2000 Chevy truck so i could do handsfree calling. The law here. Don’t remember ever using it in the Jag.
Getting started with it was, as I remember, a bit finicky. And i may have resorted to using cable connection between phone and the device to avoid the finnickniness of the bluetooth connection. I remember volume was a treat to figure out. Increase the Android volume, then increase the volume knob of the device.
I would launch sat radio on my phone, connected then by cable to the device and output thru car stereo. Handsfree calling worked okay but you have to remember that your microphone needs to be in a good place to pickup your voice.
Final thought regards XJS …seems i had problem sometimes with charging cables staying in the cigar lighter socket
Good luck.
You can always get bluetooth capable hearing aids and link them to your phone and lusten to SIrius XM or your stored music

Good afternoon,

Just heard back from Jeff’s Radio (as recommended by Jay_Coole) and the repair was successful, Jeff had the parts on the shelves and will be shipping the radio back shortly, total cost of $150. My original radio capacitors had leaked decades ago and destroyed the entire main board which was therefore beyond repair. I found another correct one at a breaker in Miami (who has a lot of XJS parts) and…Bob’s your uncle. Thank you Jay for the recommendation.