Recall: Jack stands

Something else to cause a bit of bother:

You beat me to the post. I have two of these that I carry on the OIL LEAK that I have never used.
They are very small and easy to pack. All my other jack stands have a back-up safety key/pin that can not fail. These have no such device.
Glenn

Huge discussion of these things, with photos:

Make sure to follow along through multiple pages.

I have a set of jack stands that look exactly like the recalled ones, but mine are called MVP Superlift SS-3533WM. Apparently not recalled. That discussion linked above seemed to put a lot of stock in the depth of the teeth on the saddle, but honestly I couldnā€™t see much difference. One photo of a Pittsburgh seems to show a pawl with a really rounded tooth, and I agree thatā€™d be a concern. Mine has a reasonably crisp tooth. I guess Iā€™m not terribly concerned, because applying my own judgement here my jack stands appear very secure to me.

In following that discussion, I saw in a pic a tang that youā€™re supposed to bend to secure the saddle to the base ā€“ I guess after you buy it and assemble it. My stands have that tang, but no label or instructions so I never noticed it. I am opting to not bend that tang so that I can pull the saddle back out whenever I choose to so I can inspect the pawl. I have no concern that the saddle might accidentally get separated from the base.

There is already another thread on this recall: HF Jack Stand Recall

I lije this one commentā€¦

ā€œI have the 3ton ones. Luckily I cheaped out. But makes me think I shouldnā€™t cheap out on safety gear.ā€

Duh.

Is there a way to combine threads? And to disseminate them among all jag-lovers, not just the E-type forum?

Waaaay back in the day, Consumer Reports did a comparison test on jack stands. Among their findings was that about half of the jack stands tested came with a warning label to never get under a car supported by these stands. They were consulting their attorneys on the validity of a disclaimer to never use a product for its sole intended purpose in avoiding lawsuits, but I dunno what became of that.

When I was a youngster, about 1964 or so, my dad had recently retired from a career in the Navy and was studying to become a political science professor. He had a professor that inspired him greatly, the kind of joy and excitement you love to see kindled in a student. That professor was later killed when his Jaguar E-type fell on him. I didnā€™t think my dad would ever stop crying.

So, if I donā€™t have those two numbers of HF 6 ton stands? Weā€™re ok?

1 Like

Apparently so. ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦

I have a few recalled ones and a few ā€˜goodā€™ ones. There is a notable difference in the way the pawl engages the teethā€¦ itā€™s quite a bit easier to disengage the pawl on the affected models.

The teeth are just a bit shallower. Under load I canā€™t see how they could slip, but it is conceivable that if bumped with a sneaker or elbow good and hard it could be made to disengage.

Would you mind posting a comparison pic?

I have some HF jack stands, but since they live outside, the labels have either fallen off, or faded away.

I canā€™t recall EVER using jack stands, or a jackā€¦without solid WOOD (not particle or ply) block supports as well. Lesson from Dad. Nick

1 Like

Iā€™d like to but my 3 ā€˜goodā€™ ones are defying gravity and none of the teeth are showing. I recall seeing a photo of a magic marker on the pawl to show how small the contact area was, either on-line of Face Book.

I saw this on Facebook this morning and sure enough, the front of my car is currently sitting on two of the recalled jack stands. Iā€™ve got another two that are new in the box. Guess Iā€™ll be taking them back to HF.

the one on the right was the recalled number.

Of course I had them under the car. Two good two bad and of course one bad at each end, so I had to put the car on 4 different stands.

One on the right is the recalled number.

These are the 6 ton.

Careful when you go back the recall is for the ā€œcurrent shelf priceā€ which is $49.95 or so. They gave me the ā€œlast sale priceā€ on a gift card and then they could not change the price, so I have 2 gift cards totalling the correct price. Donā€™t let yourself be cheated.

4 Likes

Those look exactly the same to me. Perhaps the difference is in the pawl. Thereā€™s a pic somewhere that shows the tooth end of the pawl being quite rounded. Iā€™d want it crisp and sharp to fully engage the teeth on that cast iron saddle.

the ā€œteethā€ o n the right seemed less deep to me.

Iā€™m a little confused. The ā€œone on the rightā€ in which photo? The last photo is flipped versus the other two.

So, is the recalled jack stand the one with the shinier paint on the black part?