Remove Head Studs instead of Puller Plate?

Seems everyone who wants to remove a v12 head uses a puller plate. Anyone ever remove the studs instead? You can get these fancy stud removers that don’t damage the studs like the cam style do: http://r.ebay.com/by5LRT

-John

That’s the way I did it 30/40 years ago on series III 'E’Type V12s/XJ-S 5.3 liter and the old 3.8 and 4.2 XK/XJ straight six engines. I used the 3 roller type stud remover.

It flattens the threads at 3 places but you can chase the threads to restore them.

bob

Excellent tool!!!

Not sure where mine is…:thinking:

I have found the “2 nuts” method is strong enough to snap studs on XJ, but does no damage to threads, Grade 5 nut thread is sacrificial, takes about 10 nuts to pull all XJ studs.

Many years ago, I had a stuck V12 head, and for whatever reason, the very experienced pro Jag mechanic did not want to try pulling the studs

Probably because not likely to succeed. Those studs are mighty tight and there is not a lot of exposed thread to put your locknuts on. Which is why the head pulling plate is a popular choice.

No harm in trying of course, and you might be lucky the day your engine was built the studs were not driven as hard as usual.

can these plates be bought, what are they called

Merida is the name of one of the mfrs. There is one listed in the classifieds, but it’s in the US.

See also this: [v12-engine] V12 head removal tool measurements

You can probably find a local shop to make one up.