Scuttle vent seal - where to buy UK

I had a bloody Saga sometime ago with front quarterlight rubbers . Sent back three from different suppliers . Those for Mk7 are supplied in one length , not a preformed piece , so you can fit It to all the corners and make a tidy join round the pin .I won’t have crap , if it’s not right , it goes back .

Having run a BMW classic car restoration/servicing/parts business for 40 years untill I retired I am very good at problem solving, making parts fit and generally getting out of trouble BUT I am getting a bit p++++d off with parts for my Mk2 Jag, I keep having to stop and move to another area of the car due to s++t parts, the Ebay 50mm round LED stop tail lamps to go in place of the reflectors turned out to be 58mm, got a refund and managed to turn them down, the scuttle vent… the chrome trim kit from SNG, not cheap, NO clips for the centre bonnet moulding and no viable solution, kit contained early door top trims, I knew the later ones were not available but I did not know I was paying something like £100.00 for the early ones that I have not drilled holes in the doors for, and will not drill now as I know how that will end, no drilling template, no instructions with the fitting kit, no contents list, it is like a jigsaw with no picture! and now I find that the curved rear wing trims do not fit onto the clips, the mouldings have grown wider in the curving process, they just fall off the round button clips, not to mention the rear lamp base rubbers that drove me mad until I junked them and used the old ones! In the classic car world a Mk2 Jag is a common car, spares have been produced for 20 years in decent volumes, I did not expect so much trouble, parts for the Anglia van, different story, the front wing was hand made and needed a weeks work to get it half acceptable, not good but a small volume vehicle, I am dreading ordering a front scuttle for my MGA… may end up making my own…

Refer to Ian’s post above . For God’s sake don’t just swallow it ! Send the bloody lot back and get a refund … if people keep making crappy parts fit , they will keep making them !

You don’t know me! it will not end here, but I do need to finish the car… we shall see how it goes after my phone call on Monday morning!
The internal width varies all over the place, the widest are the centre bonnet and rear wing mouldings, the rear wings just pop straight off, don’t know the solution.

I hope it turns out ok for you mate , and I hear what you are saying about finishing the car ! That makes it doubly frustrating when a simple job becomes almost impossible due to no fault of your own .

I think all my side mouldings use these clips. The tops of the doors have the button clips. With the square ones you should be able to open the prongs out a little to catch the moulding?

1 Like

I emailed John Gordon and suggested they send me another seal so I could make one out of two and they agreed straight away, they said that they got their seals from David Manners, this means I will have a spare half if anyone else wants to super glue a longer seal.

Also emailed SNG about the chrome mouldings, waiting for a reply.

What was the outcome at SNG ?

no reply so far, been busy fitting the engine and box today, John Gordon did send me a second seal so I can make one out of two, and have a half left over for someone else!

Hi all.
On reading many posts its becoming very clear that there are too many shoddy parts being sold by many suppliers, and its very difficult to know the quality before you buy. Is it not possible to set up some type of topic with a heading “Good part Bad part” for quick easy reference.
I, for one know my time is better spent working on my jag, not sat at the computer for hours researching every last part i need to buy…
Is this something the moderators can do for us?

1 Like

anyone know if the scuttle seal is the same size for all the Saloons ?

most especially MK2 vs MK10 ?

(for those that wish to glue seals, I use Loctite 406, which is a superglue specially for rubber)

I keep it in the fridge, and it lasts years kept that way

Hi, I source my rubber trim from C.O.Baines in the UK. Their rubber seals are all correctly moulded.
Try them. My 420 restoration used their scuttle vent seal and it fit as original.
Regards,
Allen

1 Like

I just today used a Mk2 seal from David Manners on my Mk10 scuttle. It’s outer perimeter was nearly perfect, but the inner edge had to be trimmed, more at the rear than front. On another point, it’s much easier to reinstall the lid on a Mk10 with the heater box out.

I got mine from John Gordon after ascertaining on the phone that it was exactly 430mm by 100mm . I too had to butcher the rear underside , but to be fair , I think it was the lumps and bumps on the car that were the problem .

This one is 437mm , about , I asked !

Jaguar MK1 MK2 420 Saloon S Type Daimler V8 Scuttle Vent Rubber Seal BD9876 | eBay

DM one is correct for less than half that price though!

1 Like

Do you still have the two other halves? I need a Scuttle vent seal for my Mark IX!
Thank you in advance…

I have not fitted my seal yet but may try to do so today, then I can offer the left overs, mine is a Mk2 shape, Pat

That would be terrific, Pat! I hope it works out terrific for you…

Hi Pat! Do you still have enough to make another seal?