Self levelling system

Hi again, there seems to be a lot of discussion about this system and what parts are necessary to buy to have the car maintain its level and comfortability. I am told sports springs are the best but I am confused about the spacers at the top hat as some people are saying that you have to put a 10mm spacer between the top bracket and body so is this correct? Is there anyone out here converted successfully this system and can give me the following information please?

1. A procedure to do the job
  2. Where to buy a cheap conversion kit
    As I live in Spain there are not that many scrapped Jaguars here so struggling to be honest.
    Anyway, thanks in advance to anyone that can help me
    regards Kevin

The Jaguar conversion part kit was NLA as of the early 2000s.
I installed one of the last kits in about 2002?

Years ago I used the KYB rear damper kit and added extra plastic shims to get the rear ride height back up to stock with the original springs.

New springs would be ideal but might be hard to find?

The Shock Conversion kit, JLM11698, was discontinued almost 20 years ago and I sold the last of several hundred of them in 2013. The part number reappeared as available a few years ago and supersedes to the individual parts. I have successfully been able to fill out a complete kit with inventory fairly recently. All the parts add up to about the same as the price in the current price book, which is $2181.11 but I supply the shocks without the Jaguar supply/packaging and two of the bushings as an improved part we manufactured 30 years ago as Jaguar’s supplier was using recycled material and they didn’t hold up. This saves about $400.
Some people have claimed they can reuse the self-leveling top hat which saves another $600 but they are definitely different parts.
Anyone using the KYB kit always seems to be unhappy but they are very inexpensive.

My pal installed the KYB stuff on his wife’s car about 10 yrs back and she’s very happy with it - in fact I’d say it rides as good or better than mine with the late 94 style suspension.

His 94 would be the exact parts contained in the JLM11698 Conversion kit. The KYB XJ40 conversion used the stock self-leveling system springs so was very soft and mushy. They rode a bit low with one driver and nothing else in the car and then went downhill fast with people in the car. However, it probably depends on the driver. My ex-wife would have certainly never noticed unless she put several people and a bunch in the trunk, and perhaps not even then. I’m sure we sold a couple of dozen JLM11698 conversion kits to “un-KYB” cars which was ugly because that conversion tossed some valuable parts. Not sure I remember what parts but think it was spring retainers and collets. I also think the conversion kit had some parts in it that could have been reused from the stock self leveling car as I can remember mechanics in my shop taking a conversion kit, completely assembling a shock assembly and the bolting it into the car fairly quickly. It’s been a while and my focus was always the big part warehouse and not the small shop.

I have the 94, his is the 91 with the KYB shocks. AFAIK the conversion parts, including the springs are VERY different from the 94 (X300 style) setup where the springs sit on the arms - not the shocks, as 94 shocks don’t have the retainer/collet system like earlier cars.
You can’t actually assemble a 94 rear shock assembly “on the bench” as the only way to assemble the springs is on the car, which incidentally can be done without spring compressors. On a 94, the only bits that can be put together prior to installation is the shock/top plate/bush assembly.
The height of the rear of the car and the squishability vs. weight isn’t dependent on the shock absorbers, it is solely governed by the springs and the spacer arrangement. If you have new “conversion” springs then the choice of shock absorbers would have no effect on the ride height or whether the ride was “soft and mushy”. That’s just a function of the springs.

BTW I run a pair of XJ8 springs and a monobrace on my car

Thanks for the reply guys. I just need to source the best option due to living in Spain. I do have the lift and tools to do the job its just finding the parts and procedure on a budget. Can someone guide me to a cheap option and does anyone have a parts list for the springs and shock absorbers that can be sourced here or in Europe somewhere I can contact?

There’s a guy in the UK who you can ask - he breaks XJ40’s and could give you some advice as far as getting some of the parts, no doubt some of his breakers would have good springs etc.

his name is Naki, call him or drop a line

https://blackcherryjaguar.com/pages/contact-us

I removed my post as it was confusing and I was incorrect. Sorry for the confusion.

Greg - All 94 XJ40’s have cast wishbones and X300 style rear suspension.

My XJ40 is a 94 VDP, VIN 701729 - not an X300, although the X300 model was produced in late 94 also.

Larry, I’m afraid I have to disagree with you on this one. There was a change in the rear suspension design during the 1994 (US) model year. According to the fine folks at Bilstein, and their product listings on Rockauto.com, 1994 XJ6s through VIN 696459 had the XJ40 style rear shocks, and from 696460 on the X300 style. My car, VIN 689540, built in 9/1993, has the XJ40 style.

I was sure I had sold “XJ40 style” rear suspension parts to customers who showed they owned a 1994 XJ6, so I tracked it down.
The “x300” style lower arm, shocks, and springs started at VIN 696460 (Nov 29, 1993), which is just about the middle of a typical model year production. No idea how the change to x300 production affected “normal”.

Not sure what you’re saying here Mike, I equate the 94MY with models produced after VIN 696459. These cars have cast wishbones and factory R134A A/C …

I would consider your car, VIN 689540, a 93MY …does your car have factory R134A A/C btw?

Yes, and it also has the passenger side airbag.

As shown on page 2 of this document:
xj40___x300_chassis_numbers.pdf (150.0 KB)
JDHT shows the 1994MY beginning with VIN 687219 in August 1993.

OK! I stand corrected! Too bad the early 94 cars got the old system though. :wink:

Oh well, at least we got R134A and a passenger side airbag a/k/a SRS! :crazy_face:

I removed that passenger airbag at first opportunity but long for a glove box! :smiley:

I would think a glove box - especially from a 1993 - could be retrofitted. Any in a salvage yard near you?

I have one, but from an early (88?) car …i really should try and fit it one of these years.

The part number for the pre-1993 cars is different than that for the 1993-1994 cars. It may work, but I am skeptical.

1 Like