Series 3 Re-assembly Sequence

My baby comes back from the paint shop on Saturday, so it’s time to think about re-assembly. I was wondering how others approached re-assembly. What did you do first and why…

Thanks,

Doug
'73 E-Type

Doug,

I recently went through this, and lots of things don’t have a critical path of requirements – you can do them as you like. But there are a few things that are perhaps better done “first”.

• heat insulation under the car, in the transmission tunnel, above the exhaust: much easier with the engine out; all internal insulation is also well to do before anything else

• My S1 has hard heater pipes threaded inside the bulkhead – if you have them, also do them before the engine.

• Wiring harnesses are easier to do when the engine is out, interior is taken apart.

• My guess is that the front suspension is easier to do, overall, before the engine is in. Torsion bars can be set maybe more easily, though not too different to do afterward.

Mostly work can proceed independently on most areas. For my car we had teams of guys working on a few areas at a time.

Jerry

Some of the interior trim, like the cantrails above the doors and side flipper windows (both above and below) need to go in before the door and window weatherstrip.

Anything you need to do behind the dash, like bulb replacement for example, is easier with the windscreen out and the dashtop off. I found this also goes for reinstalling the wiper rack.

Any final door and roll up window alignment requires the door trim to be off the car.

Rear hatch interior trim goes on before the window or it’s rubber gasket.

Above all, IMHO, now is the time to methodically lay things out, make sure everything you are reinstalling is up to snuff and enjoy the process.

Windscreen washers, heater pipes and wiper rack need to go in first, in that order.

Hi,

On S3 (and S2 2+2’s) the windscreen washer sits on the bonnet. But everything behind the dash, like the windscreen wiper mechanism etc should be fitted and tested before mounting the windscreen and dash top yes.

I would do those plus all the wiring before engine and gearbox, as well as fuel lines, brake lines etc. and of course leave all of the trim and doors and bonnet off until everyhing works. Some trim should go on before the doors and windscreen, rear door (if a 2+2) but of course it also makes sense to trial fit the doors and bonnet, actually that would be best to do before final paint.

Cheers,

Pekka T. - 1S20183
Fin.

Don’t forget fuel lines above diff cage before fitting axle and prop shaft before both end are in.

Depending on model, dashboard mounted ventilation controls before dash top or screen

Exhaust manifolds on whilst engine is still out

Lhr wiring before fuel tank

Bulkhead items before engine and gearbox, pedal housing servo etc

My S3 is expected back from paint end of January and apart from what has been said, I’ve decided to fit the front door weather seals before hanging the doors and the front part of the dash top before the windscreen.
Good luck and be careful not to scratch that new paint.
Happy New Year to all … Ole

Doug,

I don’t know how much of this applies to the various models but this thread may help you create a list. It did for me.