Should I use 185 or 205 tires - I know it is a tired topic

What about using tubes on tubeless tires? Is there an issue doing this? My current tubeless Michelins have tubes and when I change them I am considering using tubes again. I fear that my old wire wheels may leak.

As long as you get radial rated tubes, you shouldnā€™t have a problem. The consensus is to use talc powder in the assembly process to reduce friction in use between the tube and tire. I will do this when I mount new tires and tubes this Spring. But my current tires didnā€™t have that applied and have worked fine for 12 years

Iā€™ve gone tubeless for 25 years now
Imho wires that old are dangerous IMHO
My DB4 is a kookie size and has tubes
They chaff and dry out over time
New MWS or DYton are so cheap now tubeless
To me it a no brainer favoring MWS over Dayton by miles now
Gtjoey1414

Joey
There is no reason that old wires are dangerous if they are tight and true. Mine are 25YO and still in wonderful shape.

I understand, but to me, ANTHING that old is oldā€¦The standard mws are now under 400 dollars brand new triple plated chrome over stainless spokes and tubeless so you dont have to true the wheels or replace tubes.
To me, its a mental safety thing. As you said though odds wise, your correct.
gtjoey1314

There has been a lot of discussion about removing labels from tubes and inside tires.
I went tubeless more about the concern that all new tires are not smooth inside.
If a label could cause a tube failure, what about the rough interior of the tires?
Glenn

Thatā€™s wha the talc is all about.

Itā€™s been mentioned frequently when the subject of tubes in modern tubeless tires is raised. Many times itā€™s been mentioned as a potential problem. But I donā€™t recall anyone on the forum relating an experience of failure of the inner tubes on their cars because of it.

Quick clarifying question - with the 205s on 6" rims, is it difficult to get the rears mounted on the spindles? There doesnā€™t seem to be much clearance btw the tire and fender to get it raised up onto the spindle - any experience here? 1966 S1 FHCā€¦ Thanks, Nick

Not on my Series II.

If you start up further, I think there was indication that removing part of the inner fender lip was required.

Very related threadā€¦ How many people have 206/70/15 on - E-Type - Jag-lovers Forums (jag-lovers.com)

Hummmā€¦ OK, I really donā€™t want to trim metalā€¦ Iā€™m about a year away from tires/wheels, so Iā€™ll continue to monitor the threads (so to speak)ā€¦ thanks, Nick

1 Like

I have 205-70ā€™s on 6 inch rimsā€¦ you just have to slide the top of the tire into the fender, then lift and slide the bottom of the tire onto the axel/hub. reverse for removalā€¦

I never had to cut the lips, even years ago, but the car has to be lifted higher
gtjoey1314

I have used tubes in tubeless tires for over 25 years. The only failures have been leaks due to the labels not being removed early on. On inspection the failure was cracking of the rubber on the perimeter of the label. Not sure what the mechanism was but it had nothing to do with rubbing through the tube in my case. Have never had a problem since I began removing the labels. My next set of rims will be tubeless rims used with no tubes. In my experience almost all tire problems are nail punctures which result in a slow leak in a tubeless tire that is simple to remedy without dismounting the tire. Tubes on the other hand go flat immediately And are just a big Pain in theā€¦

Itā€™s what I have, 205 on 6" Daytons on a '66 FHC. Iā€™ve had no problem.

1 Like

Thanks - looks like Iā€™ll head for the 205s on 6", I like the wider, more aggressive look of the 205s.

205ā€™s, Look great,drive great,parking is easy.

1 Like

There is also the question of MPG
Do larger tires improve gas mileage? (dunntire.com)