Should I use 185 or 205 tires - I know it is a tired topic

All,
I have 195/75 Uniroyal Tiger Paw (very old) The ramp truck guy can barely get the wheel straps between the bump stop and tire and likewise, when tires are off the ground the wheel is rubbing on the bump stop.

How am I going to get a larger tire like, 205/70 tire, on the car?

Remove or flip the bump stops.

I’ve got the bump stops flipped and pointing to the inside now.

A 195 may well be a trailer tire, perhaps made before much standardizing was practiced. Width and circumference are now very close for XXX/XX rX tires. Perhaps yours are grandfathered to some odd dimensions.

Looks to me like a 205/70 may be slightly narrower than a 195/75.

195 x .75 = 146.25

205 x .70 = 143.50

I think you mean to say not as tall or lower profile, not narrower. The width is the 195/205 and the profile (height) is part made up of the 195 x .75 = 146.25 and 205 x .70 = 143.50

Ah, you’re correct. 20

When I wore out the tires on my 62 OTS in just months, and wore the back ones out earlier due to the sophisticated independent rear that caused the inside tread to disappear, I began shopping to replace the Dunlop RS-5’s. We would up with 640/15’s before profiles were invented. The ride was better, they required little balancing, and the ride improved. Yes, I was young and regularly ran over 100MPH with no issues.

And both tires are less tall than a stock 185R15, which had an 82 profile. Height of the sidewall was 151.7. Using the 270/70 tire will result in about a 5% increase in speedometer and odometer readings.

This thread needs more thin tire photos…

2 Likes

Do you happen to know the exact model # for that wheel?

Must have been how the belts were laid in the tires, as it’s hard to believe a Jag E-Type could have too much negative camber.
On a similar topic - a 928 Porsche with a posi (very rare, oddly) will wear out rears way faster than fronts. The posi locks up so quick that you darn near hear the tires chirp when you park the thing. When you make a u-turn and step moderately on the gas the thing will lock up for sure, burning the tires off in no time. Ours was a stick (also rare) and this may have made this worse. Porsche did sell different levels of lock up on 911’s for sure, I think, but don’t know if ours had a special order unit, but it was highly optioned. We never felt any strange posi behavior on the E-Type.

Dayton JW156.pdf (1.1 MB)

Am i seeing that right that they gave you a significant discount?

This is a fairly objective comparison :sunglasses:.

I struck a compromise by mounting the stock tire size to new 6” wide wheels. This is a pic of 185HR15 Vreds mounted to an original 5” wheel on the left and to a 6” wheel on the right:

and a closeup:

The wider wheel splays out the sidewall a bit, which stiffens it and marginally improves handling, but the aesthetic improvement is the larger payoff, imo.

2 Likes

I didn’t buy them, the PO did back in 2015, so I don’t know. I don’t see that model listed on the SNG site anymore. You could call Dayton and find out the replacement for it.

OK, are there suitable "tall " tires available?

Yep 185R15 :wink:

20 char

I’m not saying they’re inappropriate tires, just that you would have to either recalibrate your speedometer or live with a 5% error.

I suppose you could find a 205/75, which would be almost a match in diameter. I don’t know if anyone has tried that size.

The 205/75 r15 is the tire advised for C2 Corvettes. Only (apparently) good, speed rated tire in this size is an Avon. A Goodyear Assurance may or may not be available in that size, but a Cooper whitewall is available as well as Coker tires, which are slammed on Corvette sites without mercy. That is a trailer size, and numerous trailer tires can be had, but they are, of course, not anywhere near ideal. Michelin used to have some “MX” variety in this size, but lists it no longer. The Avon is very expensive and is sort of marketed as a track day tire.