Sloppy steering

Steering has become sloppy and vague. Had a new steering rack put in 2 years ago (less than 10000 miles). No leaks from the rack. Had the same problem some years ago and the replacement of some bushes solved the problem. I’ve got a great jag mechanic but he’s expensive and it takes some time to get an appointment. My question is is the steering rack pretty generic so that any decent mechanic could fix this

Mike in Cleveland
91 v12 coupe

If its just the bushes locating the rack then an alignment shop should be able to do the job.

Buy the upgraded poly bushings from SNG Barrat and any mechanic should be able to change them.
Normally it can be done without disconnecting the lines of the rack, but you have to remove the old bushing out first with a extractor.

There are other alternatives though, and more details in the Book.

1 Like

I agree. Steering response is night and day with the poly bushings. Took me a couple days to get used to them, but they’re great. About the only issue, you learn how heavy the front end is! :wink:

Regarding bushings, in Kirby’s book, he states that the OEM bushings are utter crap. Never use them again. Is that what was put in?

The alternative are the sport bushings, which are good.
And then of course the poly bushings.

If bushings aren’t installed correctly, they will wear out prematurely and cause sloppy steering.