Special tools for e type work

I’ve got lots of tools but never the right one for certain jobs on the jag I can’t always use the torch and hammer
I’m going to get some wrenches to modify shorten ,grind off etc
Was wondering if anyone has anything that’s proven particularly useful

For you guys removing cooling hoses , a bent ice pick or screw driver is good for releasing them. Force it between the hose and fitting , add a little liquid dish soap and off they come , harbour freight or princes auto sells sets of them
Cheers.jim

I only have one twisted up 7/16 for the rear calipers but I have just about every 1/2" wrench ever made, short, long, curved, S-shape, U-shape, offset angle head, ratcheting head, deep walled, open flanged, and a few more I can’t even recall.

2 Likes

You might find this thread interesting;

Let’s talk about something else … obscure shop made tools - Pub - Jag-lovers Forums

1 Like

I tried that thread and it says it’s restricted or unavailable ? I’m new here …

Jim

Hi Jim the pub access is by application only, unfortunately you are at the ‘basic’ level, click on your avatar and you will see that, you need to raise that level by liking a few posts and looking at other threads
This should help you to understand more of the process;

1 Like

Hi Rob,
I followed the instruction of the inclusion of your Post, regarding finding out what Trust Level one is current at and all I see are icons for Notifications, Bookmarks, Messages and Preferences.

Perhaps I haven’t reached the Trust Level to be privy of that information. :grin:

Brent

Not a special tool but I recently bought a 144 tooth 1/4" ratchet wrench at Home Depot. All my ratchet wrenches are old. I had no idea ratchet wrenches were available with so many teeth. Only needing a bit of a turn to get a fastener on or off in a tight space is fantastic. I used it to separate the throttle shafts under the carbs and to remove the bolts holding that the fitting for the throttle shaft grommet from the fire wall.

I also found magnetic tipped ratchet extensions or just the little magnets you pop into sockets for holding nuts and bolts to be a big time saver.

3 Likes

All:

Nick J. has moved the topic I referenced above to the Lounge where no special access is required to see it.

Link:

Let’s talk about something else … obscure shop made tools - Lounge - Jag-lovers Forums

1 Like

Dave
Those are some of the jobs that convinced me to make some custom and those rear brake cylinders, you need a real short socket for clearance, took me way to long to get them out. Funny what you can remember. I used a buddies 1/4 snap on ratchet getting at hard to reach places on his aircraft and it was sure nice with fine gradations lite action beat my craftsman I’m getting Good at doing nuts and bolts by brail
If your not close to your magnet Stick a piece of paper in your socket to tighten it up or a tree leaf works on the side of the road for that matter at home too, small nuts taped to the end of a pencil :pencil2: Crazy glue or dab of grease on your fingertip. I’ve found the more positive the temporary attachment process the less looking involved
Thks
Cheers. Jim

1 Like

It’s funny but you’ve just got to work with what you’ve got. I like the leaf in the socket trick. BTW, speaking of aircraft, fuel lube is super sticky. I’ve used that quite a bit to keep things together or stuck to my finger tips. I also keep a roll of double sided scotch tape handy. The tape is easier to clean up!!!

I’ve got a tube of that fuel lube on the shelf never thought of that …good one and ya grease etc is messy
Cheers. Jim

1 Like

A magnetic finger also works well in some spots:

https://www.amazon.com/Busted-Knuckle-Garage-BKG-129-Magnetic/dp/B004XG3SGK/ref=asc_df_B004XG3SGK/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312061982315&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=12337260680121835138&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9030261&hvtargid=pla-567939702136&th=1

2 Likes

John

That’s not quite true you need to have regular member status to access the lounge, I discovered by lounging around, I only have basic so they don’t like the cut of my sail yet
Cheers Jim

Thanks, I stand corrected. I thought the lounge was immediately open to all since the revision of Pub participation.

I haven’t gotten through the lounge thread yet, but does anyone have a trick for reaching the inside screw on our side mirrors? I’ve tried bending a screwdriver, but need to go back to the drawing board a couple times.

I can’t picture an ‘inside screw’ – is this the usual S2 side mirror?

Do you mean the two screws that are exposed when you rotate the top half of the mirror stem on the lower half that is attached to the door? If so you can get a straight shot to each of the two screws by rotating the top half to various positions.

1 Like

It never occurred to me that the mirror could be rotated. I did find it odd that it didn’t seem adjustable and I swear to god I’m not blonde!! I’m going back to bed and feeling shame!

2 Likes

You probably didn’t have your tongue in the right position don’t feel bad , most jobs are 2 days on a jag
Jim

The one special tool you need for E-type work is a …Checkbook.

3 Likes