Spring glass bowl

Hello…here again on new year…happy new year 2021 for all guys …

I am trying to put my jaguar into operation … but obviously I am not an expert and well I am trying to do my best and the best … now I have this doubt … I bought the glass bolw gasoline filter but It comes with a spring … this little spring where is it placed … ??

On the manual I don’t see this little spring…

At the bottom, it pushes the filter into contact with the incoming port.

Thanks I got it…is necessary put a little Grease on the black seal…or something…or not…

Thanks Peter…I’m working on this

BTW what model , XJ or earlier.
Be aware that early models, roughly pre ‘66 / 67 have brass gauze filters tucked up under the Ali body.

Mk2 1967 3.4…

Mi questions is this… should I put grease or shellac on the black seal … or it doesn’t wear anything …and if it has grease it must be on both sides of the black seal…It may be a silly question for the experts … but for me as a beginner it is an important question…thanks

These paper elements are an aftermarket mod (?) or addition – there would normally be a washable brass gauze in the top of the filter held behind the rubber seal (see pic) housing however for some this has gone astray. We have the gauze, but also use a cheap as you like disposable filter between tank and pump and replace it every oil change – 2000 miles or so – seems to catch all the rubbish.

Tigger…When I removed the filter from the bowl for the first time … it did not bring that filter from your picture!!

The rubber ring seal does should not need sealant, lightly tighten the holding clamp then twist the bowl to seat it to the rubber then finish tightening.
Obviously if a gauze filter was fitted its been removed.

These seem to be the only aftermarket filters available these days.
The original , non paper, type, didn’t have a spring.

Thanks so much…I’m going forward

Paper filters not so much a mod but a poor replacment , I found some new old stock Filters ,this is what mine looked like after a few weeks , got it from a well known supplier in the UK , the spring crushes the paper , would have been far better to have one end as big as the brass gauze kind , so it’s hung from the top , so no need for a spring !

Hi,
I will prepare a fuller reply for you a little later and hope it will help with your project.

Hi,
Main source of dirt / rust particles etc will be the fuel tank if car has not been used regularly – buy a supply (5 or so) of cheap inline fuel filters and hose clips and install a filter between the tank and the pump – see very poor diagram – you will need 8mm internal diameter ethanol proof fuel hose. The filter will likely need replacing frequently as you run the car but will protect the pump, fuel lines, carbs and engine.

Assemble the ‘original’ fuel filter as shown in the next poor diagram – no need for sealant but check the seal is clean and no problem to smear the smallest amount of grease on the surfaces. The pressure to make the seal is the thumbscrew fitting holding the clip in place. Clean out the glass bowl before assembly. Don’t worry about the gauze being missing.

Tigger… I really appreciate the time to help me … and the other guys … I am very grateful and your diagram is more than understood … really thanks … I bought a new gas tank … and new lines. …I have never done this work … have as it goes … :slightly_smiling_face:

question :question:…I want to start my jaguar … but it is without a tank … can I start it by filling the small bowl and the carburetors?..

Yes take the float chamber tops off, fill the chambers 3 / 4 full and crank away, if the engine fires and runs reasonably smooth , and you have a steady hand !
keep topping the chambers up.
Best carried out outside of course, with a wet blanket handy, you never know !:slightly_frowning_face: It’s preferable , of course, to rig a small container and gravity feed the filter bowl.