Starting main rear seal and crankshaft reassembly. Words of wisdom?

The bearings in the photo next to the box. I take it they are the “new” bearings??

1 Like

Erh yes, just out of the plastic wrapper in the box, why?

Hi Eric
Yes, sorry for the delay your message went into junk box

Here is the update.

After talking to the suppliers of the bearing shells:

• The non grooved ones go on the caps, the grooved ones in the block.
  • The scratched one: tough luck for me. Purchased more than 45 days ago, my loss. Have to buy a new set. $85.

After talking to the machine shop:

• Crankshaft bores alignment check: $300, bring spare block just in case.

Also, I think I am going to go for the rear main seal conversion and do away with that silly rope seal business $320 + machine work.

An expensive week…

2 Likes

Are you really saying that the machine shop wants to charge $300 just to check the main bearing alignment, which seems like thievery to me, and they are NOT capable of align boring the block? If this is so then you need to find another machine shop!

3 Likes

$309, just to check it??

Sounds fishy to me.

I think I said that…:woozy_face:

2 recommendations. With regards to the bearing shells you should ask to speak with one of the managers if you have not done so. The sales guy on the phone is just following protocol. For your machining It might be helpful to visit an independent british car repair shop in the area and ask who does their machining. When I go in for information like that I find that if you bring along a gift of beer it is usually appreciated.

If the guy’s name happens to be Wiggles don’t take Guinness.:grinning:

1 Like

I urge you to compare the rear seal kits available from the usuals. The Terry’s product is far superior in my estimation (I compared them side by side). A little more money, but a better design. No drips or even a weep from the one in my engine.

1 Like

Got the crankshaft bores alignment checked, they are good to go.

The shop I found had no less than 7 XK engines pass through in the last week, and a V12 Jag. In Campbell CA.

Next step is getting the rear seal conversion business done.

1 Like

The faulty bearings. Bad for reputation, but they all use the timescale get out!
Yesterday, a supplier who will remain nameless, sent me an XK idler sprocket.
Only trouble was someone forgot to fit the white metal bush! If they’d have tried a 45 day get out on that I’d have taken them to court!

1 Like

The conversion kit has arrived.
Expensive bugger…

I would consider asking to speak to a manager and ask for a new set free or discount, refer him to this forum as proof of your honesty, and ask him how it comes to be a set of scratched bearings get sent out anyway…or just dont bother wasting your time and pay for a new set

Asking is free and the worst that can happen is they say no.

As I’ve said before, every vendor makes mistakes, the measure of their worth is how they resolve them.

1 Like

could you share the name of this shop ?

The shop in Campbell, CA is called Champion Engines, Gary is the man.