Third brake light for OTS

Took the old girl out of winter hibernation today! That first ride after four months was sweet, indeed. I promised in an earlier thread that I’d show my third brake light solution. Video here:

2 Likes

Thanks Nick,
That’s a pretty good “attention grabber” if you ask me.
Cheers,
LLynn

Nick, that’s great!! I’ve seen those blinking brake lights on some motorcycles and trucks and it works. Unless you’re brain dead you can’t miss that. Love the magnet idea too, no holes or glue!
pauls

That looks really good Nick and I think it’s smart. In fact, I have installed one in my fhc but I haven’t totally resolved how to mount it yet. Currently using sticky tape on the glass but I’m not sure it will hold. Anyway, rare earth magnets and setting it on the boot lid makes it clean, easy and smart!

1 Like

Very cool Nick, and nice to put a face on the owner !

Nick was kind enough to drop by my residence during his first ride of the summer From first hand viewing I can say if I had a Series 1 taillight configuration vs the Series 2 I own I would install one without hesitation.
Nick, I’ll call next week so we can open the best sauvignon cabernet made of all the Niagara wineries!
Alan!

One of the many ways in which the Series 2 is definitely superior, Alan.

See you next week. Ribeyes?

Nick, I have done a similar one on my S3, but used an XK8 third stop light, which also mean I have made holes in the car. Sacrilegious, some would say, but it is an original Jaguar part :slight_smile: I guess I even used the same strobe module.
I do have to say I like your non drilling solution !

Nick,
Thanks for sharing this. You Canadians are a pretty smart and proactive bunch of guys… !

Dennis
Vancouver, Canada

And here’s another.

This is the culprit. The script on the boot lid/rear door. The guy behind you just can’t quite make it out …

do you think maybe the 3.8s are safer?

Edit:

Speaking of [quote=“Les_Halls, post:5, topic:352215”]
nice to put a face on the owner !
[/quote]

how long are you gonna keep the L?

Maybe that is Les…

Pretty cool Nick. Beautiful car !

Or at least, a butt.

Jerry

1 Like

Nice job. I need to try to adapt something similar for a Series II FHC. I’m thinking maybe mounting one similar to yours up against the underside of the bumper, between the reversing lights.

John, I would go for as high as possible. In your case, maybe inside the car. Someone close by in an SUV may not see it that low to the ground.
The US legislation on third brake lights dictate a minimum height above ground, which has affected several car designs. I.E. the XK8 (rear spoiler design ) and early 911’s (cyclops eye on a stalk)

John,

FWIW, I made a black and very narrow third brake light from the innards of a widely available FLAPS unit, and mounted it at the very top of the hatch window. two metal strips hold the light and they slide under the rubber window glass mount. The unit weighs nothing and so it’s very secure up there. Someday I’ll get in there and adjust the aim so it gives full brightness to following cars…

Good point. After I posted that I found several that are made to adapt to the inside of the rear window with swivel adhesive ends.

I think that might be what I wind up with; something similar at the top of the window. Are you using LED bulbs in the stock brake lights? They look pretty bright in the picture.

Thanks for both of your inputs.

John,

Kind of, these are the XKs Unlimited (and other vendors too) units for LED tail lights, turn signals, and brake lights; they replace the bulb with a card of LEDs that take up the whole lens. Expensive, but after driving in foggy, drizzly twilight weather in the Sierras behind a gaggle of E-Types I realized the originals were hopeless. Very visible at all times. Some on the Oil Leak felt that in daylight the distinction between taillights and brake lights was insufficient, not my opinion though. I’m very happy with them.

Jerry

Excellent Nick, I almost did the same some time ago by using two strong magnets in the two supports, even on a superior S2 it is pretty worthwhile:

And of course I plan on fitting the same on the inferior S1 too!

Hi Jerry,

Is the metal bracket in your picture a “L”, “C” or other type. IOW, does it slide up under the rubber window seal or simply wedge into the space between the seal and the trim?