Tilt plate for engine removal

I am going to be removing the 3.8L engine out of my XK150 FHC in the New Year to freshen it up and hopefully fix the oil leaks.
I have a 2 ton shop crane (cherry picker type) and one of those screw type engine levellers; I have read the threads on here suggesting it’s more easily done with a Tilt Plate; does anyone have one of these that they would be willing to lend out to me?
I am located in BC Canada and certainly willing to pay the postage both ways.
Thanks
Graham

The screw type leveler from harbor freight works just fine for me. It allows for a lot of tilt and is needed for that job.

![image|666x500](upload://m![Jaguar%20rebuild%202009%20042|666x500](upload://wmHQSsS

pEKa3JjlQrlcpkuG 2S6x.jpeg) M21XzMQp2BsJj9CoN1eAxuZfcE.jpeg)

Thanks Kris, pictures are worth 10,000 words! My screw leveler is very similar to the one in your pictures so I’m pleased to see that it actually works, I feel a lot more comfortable with it now.
I see you had the damper/fan removed, is that necessary for clearance?

Yes, It was either remove the engine pulley and damper or cut out the bonnet latch cross brace. I also have a low ceiling in shop so limited on how high to raise the car front end vs tilt on engine. The tremec tranny is also a few inches longer than the original that adds to the challenge.

hello Graham and Kris . i do not know anything about harbor freight equipment. i never use anything i do not have proper mill certification for the material for as i have looked at lots of broken lifting gear and tools. i do have a tilt plate that i made and have used for 40+ years. will not loan but will provide picture, drawing on private email or you can visit me on Vancouver Island. certainly no disrespect intended or disputing what has been said already - just answering original question. john

Graham
I used a tilt plate but I had a lot of issues with the crank handle as it was fouling the hoist and was unable to get enough tilt ,Kris seems to have managed ok.
I finally hooked up on the second row of head studs bolts to get the tilt, with this I cleared the radiator bracket ,I then hooked up a come along around the tail of the tranny to lift it horizontal and out.
I did not remove the front pulley, but removed the steering rack bolts on the passenger side to slightly move the rack forward so the pulley could pass.

I am on Vancouver Island so if you need to discuss i will gladly pass on my number.

1 Like

Thanks everyone for the information and pictures, I feel much more confident now, Morris, it looks like a case of significant shrinkage of your gearbox on the reinstating pics :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

That picture is how I have ended up having to R & R a few Jag engines, as the tilt plate simply wont allow for a steep enough initial insert angle…using the 2nd row of studs and standard lifting bracket.

The angle of tilt does have to be adjusted as the engine & trans moves in or out.
I use a low trolley jack under trans if I have to do it on my own.

At least one helper/spotter is a godsend

Graham

Actually the two gearboxes side by side are the same length

Hi Morris, sort of off-topic, but could you tell me your head#? I have a head I’m fitting to an E-type that was the same blue color. Thanks!
Dave

Dave
The cyl head in the picture is painted blue by accident, [ lack of knowledge ]. It is now’ duck egg green ’ which it should be for a 3.4, number is a 150 number V-4141-8

getting ready for the engine removal, couple more questions, when I drained the hot oil I only got about 5 liters out (incl filter), the capacity is supposed to be 8.5L; so where does the other 3.5L lurk? I’m concerned that it will be all over the garage floor when I tilt the engine!

Did you have 8.5 in the engine ???
Do you have the correct dipstick, for 3.8 = C 8781 part number should be stamped on stick
Is your sump the original sump?

Thanks Morris, I didn’t check the oil level before draining so it may have been low already. My shop manual indicates 13.5L as the total capacity but I didn’t get near that much out when I drained it, guess we’ll find out when I start removing the engine.

Another question, does the gearbox/overdrive need to be drained before hoisting/tilting?

Wow. 13.5 liters is 3.5 gallons! That’s a LOT of oil!
Pat H

No it does not, but I would drain it anyway.
here is my email just in case you need any quick questions answered or extra verbal help.
barnettm@telus.net

Graham
Dont know where you get 13 liters from , but i think you were miss led a bit as the 150 engines had
13 PINTS, and 15 pints with oil filter, which equals 8.5 liters.

oops, my mistake, it’s supposed to hold 8.5L and I only managed to drain about 5L, so I think I’m going to have a messy garage floor!