Time for a Paint Job

If I had to do it again on such a nice car I would probably prefer buying the one man band a plane ticket…

… from down under, if necessary;-)

Aristides, I suffer with you: perfect body, perfect roof liner … and then the mess about that black glue spreading itself like a horror version of a Laurel & Hardy movie …

Glad to hear you got out without serious damage!

Better luck for your next steps

Jochen

75 XJ6L 4.2 auto (UK spec)

Thank you all…
It is indeed the worst and most anxiety producing job I ever did on this car.
Even changing the handbrake pads in situ fades to compare…
I’m pretty sure that there is now one in my neck of woods that would be willing to tackle this job, and even if they would, do a proper job.

And on the meantime, here is the mess…

Ouch! But no permanent damage which is the main thing

Rear screen channel cleaned, primed and painted.
As good as new, well, almost…

2 Likes

And when will the pros visit you?

:wink:

No pros Wiggles… It’s me my self and I…!

Going to be hard without a helper, but test fit and make/ use blocks to center the glass in the opening. They can stay in place and support glass from creeping while the urethane sets. A lot of OEMs do it that way.

Yes, test fitted about twenty times so far…
My dear wife will be able to give me the extra hand. It’s just the matter of the initial placement once the glue is on.

I had the most trouble with the chrome strips. Centering the glass was no issue and it sits nicely on the c section rubber. But getting the chrome to fit right was impossible.

Impossible indeed… but I have a plan, hope it works.

1 Like

A small step forwards yesterday, secured the c-section rubber on the frame with glue.
On the first attempt it gave me real trouble as it was too loose and wouldn’t stay put…

2 Likes

Fingers crossed!
…….20

The rear screen went on yesterday with the help of a good friend.
This time it’s straight!

As you can see I left the chanel free of glue so I can adjust the chrome surround and glu it on a second session.
The plan is still not to use the rubber joints.

6 Likes

Is that a Picasso on the wall :relaxed:

Hi,

I don’t know but looks more like Hopper.

Cheers!

Ps. Congrats on the glass! Also in my experience the rear screen is always more difficult than the windscreen.

He…!
It’s my wife’s work, Margot McPherson.

She will be very happy to hear that.

2 Likes

I like her bird paintings , particularly the red throated diver .

2 Likes

Success…!
Chrome trim installed, without the original inner and outer seals.
I like the result, a much cleaner, uncluttered and modern look.
Plus, there is not even a pinhole for water to get in.

I used normal polyurethane glue and I think it was a good choice, it takes a bit longer to cure and cleans much easier than the window glue.
Overall I would give it a 9 out of 10, pretty good considering that the body was far from perfect (PO repairs)so the gaps were not even and the chrome was bend in two places (and fixing it was a very long and arduous process, lower left corner, see pic#3).

But, oh boy, what a stressful job…

6 Likes

The sealant could be slightly more even (a question of tools and training) but it’s very okay and it looks so much better than factory. Good job!
The S1 (early cars) has a wider chrome strip that - at least on mine - has rubber on the window side but sealant on the paint side exactly like yours. And you can see where water might get in.