Title trouble with my 89 conv.xjs

and the previous owner glued the strips with nr in the car.

Please show us the rest of the locations where US VIN should be!
A car that does not display the US VIN through the windshield could not have been titled in CA.

And yes, Jaguar certificate will have the Jaguar number, not the US number. With one caveat - the last 6 digits MUST BE the same.

ok i am going to take pictures of the other vin nr,s in the car.
it will take a vew hours to go to and back to the garage

1 Like

That’s clear to me now Steve: different VINs but the last 6 digits are the same.

Back in the day when my Jaguar dealer could supply parts for an XJS, the only thing they cared about was those 6 digits as the reference from the production line. They could pull up all the details for body style, engine type, etc from that unique number. It also was the first step into accessing their parts catalogue. Once they had that 6 digit VIN, the catalogue would only show parts relevant to your exact car. None of the hunting down through the mangled hierarchy that is the Jaguar Classic parts database where you have to pick your model variant at the very end.

Hi Andy. Yes, those numbers are sort of serial numbers.
They are not entirely sequential, but the higher the number, the later in the production cycle that car came int being.
Additionally, by those last 6-digits, JDHT allows you to look for break-points in the part numbers. For example, the infamous Lucas to Marelli changeover happened with VIN ending with 157114 (it does not matter whether it is the US VIN or the Jaguar VIN)

https://parts.jaguarlandroverclassic.com/parts/index/part/id/C03.900.90017.90017228.900172284195/brand/jaguar/

BTW, the interpretation of the US is very simple:

Steve,

I was very aware of the higher the number (in terms of the last 6 digits), the closer it was to the end of production/the later the car.

What I didn’t know was how the 2nd NA VIN was configured & the fact that the last 6 digits were always the same.

Thanks.

Andy.

HOLD ON!! the 6 digits on the title and the car are NOT the same!!

That’s what we’ve been trying to tell you. Your title apparently isn’t for your car.

But from what Steve says, they SHOULD BE & there in lies your issue - potentially.

As youcab see, Te numbers ob the car match with the title witch is false because the dutch dmv found the correct number under the chassisnumber.and therefore the car has the wrong title.
So in one of the 52 states the VIN nr of the heritage certificate should be on file…

I see “158072” in all three of the pictures.

Where is the picture of the title ?

Cheers
DD

when you scroll up you find it.

You’ve said two different things here ! :slight_smile:

Cheers
DD

There’s a possibility that car may have a lien on it in the state it was titled in and being sold out of the country the title you have was substituted.

I traded for a xjs parts car, The dealer was going to crush it because the who ever he got it fromdidn’t have a title for it. It was obvious the car had been sitting for several years he had no keys so it was crusher bound. I had couple junkers that I was going to crush so we swapped junk for junk. I took the vin to the local DMV agent who I knew personally and she ran the vin and it came back with a huge lien on it. The bank that held the lien had been swallowed up in a merger. I might could have filed a mechanics lien on it and got a clean title but the car had several rust spots in the body so I stripped it.

Dear doug
The dutch DMV has found a different nr stamped under the visible nr under the hood and they say that that is the original nr and on that nr I have asked the Heritage certificate

So somebody had ‘attached’ a later stamped number and stickers to the car to give it a legit VIN ID. Why?

The actual car you have, with the original but hidden ID that matches the engine, trans and body is disguised to hide it. VINs are hidden when they are ‘hot’. It’s really very simple and is the reason VIN records are computerised.

Wat is uw ‘VIN’? Waarom geef je geen echte naam?

Ha Peter
Ik ben jan van der Maat ( lid JDCH) uit haarlem
Het nr dat door de RDW is gevonden is: SAJ-JNVDW4KP157535
Bovenin vind je copieen van de title en certificate alsmede fotoos van de nr,s in de auto.