To convert or not convert '67 S1.25 headlights

Absolutely. Even though the JCNA were not excited about introducing the moniker S1.25 (when technically the S1.5 did not exist) its clear that they did everyone a favor. The confusion still surrounds the later '67 cars. It did not help that in Porter’s book he implies that open headlights didn’t happen until August of '67, which to us would have been the S1.5, a North American '68 federalized car, quite different than a '67 car. Then there is added confusion when the rest of the world during the '68 model year got some but not all of the changes we got right down to the end of the S1 production and introduction of the S2.
pauls

1 Like

Hey, we’re in the same club! Way cool! :grin:

I apologize for the fly poop/pepper thing. I saw your post and quoted a passage I thought was slightly misleading. Again, apologies.

Even with the heavy chrome surrounds, certainly better looking than an open headlight version.

1 Like

I don’t know, I always liked my S1.25…I think it works best with certain colors, but it always had an “un-cluttered” look to me.

5 Likes

FANTASTIC! I am so glad to have brought up this topic in this forum. Cool Cats giving good information. And, in todays environment, it is pleasant to see the civility and courtesy.

So, I realize that even though the S1.25 has a unique, slightly more inset and smaller headlamp than all S1.5 and after, that is not significant to most who have responded here. Which is understandable since it is so subtle.
I agree with those that see the pros and cons (aesthetically, financially, and practically) in both styles.
Maybe I will buy the kit and all other parts at todays prices to have on hand in case the day comes that I decide to do the conversion.
Cool stuff,
RG

1 Like

Hi Ben Great looking car - is it primrose or cream?

J-L needs a :-1: button …

2 Likes

Nope. They’re exactly the same.

And so you should, Ben! A great looking car and according to the production numbers posted above it’s a rare example - 1 of 463 Series 1.25 LHD FHC built and if you get into body color it’s even rarer. :sunglasses:

It was primrose…it had one cheap respray, which had oxidized, so it was quite a pale yellow.

I sold it in 2009-ish, and it now lives in Houston.

Um…cornfoozed: I thought you’d agree…??

Nickolas,
I know for a fact that you are mistaken. If you research it you will find pictures and expert narrative that show the first open headlights (some, if not all of the S1.25) were slightly smaller and set further back (more inset) with a different trim. For the S1.5 they were moved further forward. I understand now (from input from this thread) the bonnet didn’t change.
Take a close look and you will see the difference. They do not protrude or bulge out of the bonnet as much. The trim over the lamp is thinner.
RG

I think that was Nick’s salient point.

OK, I just factchecked myself. I obviously have been on some mind-altering meds.
My apologies to Nickolas and all. I was certain I had seen the larger headlamps and trim on S1.5, which I apparently did not. I still love hearing the conversation.
Again, I apologize. Stubborn and stupid are a terrible combination.
RG

3 Likes

Here’s a PDF detailing the construction. I still have the molds in case I need to make a new one but they’ve held up well.
Open to closed headlamp sockets.pdf (717.0 KB)

Richard,
If you look at 1E34590, a Series 1.5 car, on xke data you will see a car with the headlight configuration you thought was the norm. It’s the only one I have ever seen and I assume someone retrofitted a Series II eyebrow and headlight bucket into a Series 1.5 sugar scoop.
Tom

I think I prefer the painted look, over the chrome: they blend in better.

Did you ever get metal rings made?

I’ve never seen that S2 configuration on a S1.5 car. Quite sure someone has done that out of necessity or for better light distribution. If you look at the very next car on xkedata it will show the previous configuration 1E34591
pauls

So in summary there are only three bonnet configurations for 6 cyl. cars, right?

• Series I, 3.8 and 4.2 closed headlight cars.
  • Series I.25 and 1.5 cars with the same basic headlight cutouts but sans covers and the headlights moved forward about 2 inches necessitating a small chrome eyebrow.
  • Series II cars with the headlights moved forward an additional two inches, necesitating a larger chrome eyebrow, in revised cutouts along with an enlarged bonnet mouth (67% larger?) relocated parking lights and a revised bumper location.

Series 1.5

Series II, compare the headlight cutouts.

As for the original question: Richard, it’s your car, do what most pleases you.

I harbour a certain ambivalence toward both headlight treatments. From a purely aesthetic perspective I’d prefer a hybrid - S1 glass covers with the thin, integrated (ie snap-on) S1.5 chrome, minus the eyebrows.

1 Like