Tool roll identification

i have a box(new) of these. which jaguar model would these be appropriate?
green canvas. approx value of each?
a well known vendor is asking $95 each.

And there are these being advertised in the Classifieds. $280

Hi Nick…wonder how many hes sold at that price…its still just a repro …Aldridge trim in UK a top trimmer sells green toolroll made to original spec for £49…but still repro…if 69Roadster(whats your name)… has a box full and they are “originals” then what value…or are they " new repro"…depends if you want to sell all quick…or get high price but take ages to sell them all…in the end the market creates the price…for top auction on ebay or offer here to members yoy recognise at a fair price …Steve

1 Like

mine are repro. same as sold by major supplier. mine are still in plastic. bought from xk’s unlimited about 10 yrs ago.
i would accept $10 per bag in a bulk sale.

@Robert_Laughton may be interested.

^ok. will pm
later. i dont know exact number of bags.

Hello 69 Roadster.

I would be happy to buy them all, and spread them out to folks and friends in my area clubs.

Shipping would be to Ontario Canada.

Thanks,

Rob

1 Like

great. i will count how many bags i have on sat.
shipping to canada approx $25 usps.

Don’t want to be a “party pooper” but the first reference to an XK 120 tool roll, is not fully correct (to put it mildly).

Bob K.

Do you mean they were not used in Mark VII? Correct, Mark VII had tool containers built into the front doors, no canvas rolls.

This is me putting my hand up, Rob. :sunglasses:

1 Like

As someone says on the thread, there is a Box full of Tool Bags for sale. Unfortunately, they are not re-productions of the Original Tool Bags made by Jaguar Cars! The Shape is incorrect, the Trimming is incorrect, the Buckle is incorrect, and that is from taking a quick look at the picture posted.
Whether anyone likes to accept it or not, I have spent a lot of time, developing my re-production Tool Bags for the XK120. At this point, I can say, they are as close to the originals as a reproduction can be. If none of those details are important, I don’t know why I would have spent re-searching the Tool Rolls!
I guess we all have different standards… and rest my case!

Also not for Mk7 as indicated on the blurb, Mk7 has tool boxes in the front doors.

I guess that correctness is not an issue anymore, I believe Roger Payne will be having a nightmare reading these comments! I suppose this amounts to “… if you have a $10 Head, buy a $10 Helmet!”.

Correctness is important but a good repro is still a repro…Steve

It goes to perception. Eye of the beholder. Or maybe mind of the beholder? The longtime owner of a limited edition Rodin bronze will cherish both it and the admiration and covetousness it inspires in others. But when he’s informed by an expert appraiser that it’s really an excellent forgery he’ll despise it. What’s changed isn’t the thing itself but the perception of its worth - monetarily, emotionally and socially. There’s originality and then there’s the illusion of originality. Arguably they’re both illusions.

Shall we discuss “matching numbers” now?

:smiling_imp:

Edit: Let’s not,

1 Like

Hi Nick…were not talking Rodin Bronze…its a band new looks new toolroll…no one could possibly ever think its original 70 years old…I have no problem with a car thats all new/reproduction parts etc…i also dont have a problem with this reproduction tool roll…but the poster said $10 head buys a $10 helmet…so i pointed out his product is still only a repro…Steve

1 Like

About 30 years ago I bought a green canvas repro tool roll; at the time it was the only one on the market, and I thought it was correct and figured it was the best I could do.
Since then we’ve learned more about them. I understood there was a tan one and a black one. The prevailing belief was that my car would have had the tan one.
A couple of years ago I bought a new repro tool roll, the tan canvas one with the red inside and leather strap, quite a good repro I thought, and paid over $100 as I recall, from some place in the eastern US.
I’m happy with it, can’t see anything wrong with it.
It’s a closer match than my classic look radial tires anyway. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

@Robert_Laughton
i have 5 tool rolls. one
escaped and hopefully i find it.
plz pm me with interest.

30 plus years ago bill tracey was selling green one’s no one has yet convinced me with photos of genuine period green ones that these were supplied in XK120’s or any post war car!