TPS clean & drain holes

Hi, does anyone have handy photos of the best position to drill the clean and drain holes in the red 6-wire TPS? There were some great pictures on the old site but they don’t seem to be accessible now and I have tried blowing up some of the thumbnails that I can still see on the old picture albums but they just aren’t clear. Thanks.

1 Like

If you have the TPS off the throttle body you can prise off the bottom and give the insides a good spray with brake cleaner and make sure all the tracks are in good condition. Otherwise just drill a couple of small holes in either corner and spray through them

2 Likes

What year is this???

This would have been off circa 1988-92 XJ40

Thanks for the picture. It looks like there is plenty of space to drill in from the bottom. Will give it a go over the next couple of weekends.

I will have to look under the hood, I don’t think I have a red thing on my 89

Should have one :slight_smile: it sits underneath the throttle body. James if you are taking the throttle body off then its just as easy to flip off the cover and give it a good clean with out drilling holes. 1/4” drive ratchet with a universal joint works well, I can’t remember if the bolts are 8 or 10mm.

You have one but it’s probably black by now from oil mist and general crap.

Every XJ40 has one - it’s the thing that tells the ECU what the throttle butterfly is doing.

I widhI new that when I had my throttle body off! Mine is starting to hunt again at idle, whith an occasional stall

Foud it and it is red, my mistake I never had the throttle body off. There is a small hole on the rear side just above that, would injecting cleaner in that hole do anything as far as cleaning?

Can you get a photo of the position of the hole?

supprisingly yes.

That’s a different TPS to what I am used to, but I doubt there is a passage into the TPS from that hole.

It’s an 89 us the only red thing nder the thottle body and has 3 wires.

Not saying its incorrect, just a different shape to the photo I posted, at least from that angle.

It does look a bit smaller thathe pic you had, I will try to get one from the front.

pretty dark but this is the front.

The '90 to '94 cars had a bigger red TPS, with 2 wipers; one for throttle and one for the electronic gearbox. The '88 '89 cars didn’t have an electronic gearbox, so a smaller TPS.

Rob

2 Likes

Thanks for the info.

Anyone know if I can unbolt the from the bottom, clean, and reinstall easily?