Trip planning in an I-Pace?

I’ve thought about getting an I-Pace, but I’m concerned about how I’d handle longer trips, and wonder if any owners have observations about how they accommodate recharging on the road. Tesla has a good system, but nobody joined them when they offered, so I believe it’s proprietary. It seems that Jaguar would be trying to create something. It’s got way more than ever needed for any around town car, but short of the magic 300 miles I’m seeing recommended for an electric road trip.

I will be writing up my adventures in the Nov/Dec Jaguar Journal. Just be aware that the supplied standard 110V cable will charge at about 5 miles per hour connection and even the faster 220V (250?) is not going to get you from flat to full in an hour - it’s not a smartphone. The best chargers by far are the ones being installed along a few main routes like I-95. With these you almost get the fuel pump sensation of filling up as you wait, but it still takes time.

1 Like

Took my neighbour for a ride in the I-Pace. Loved it even more. Scared the hell out of him when i floored it.
I have a 380 volt 3 phase loading dock. But boy that’s expensive…

1 Like

PIM, Just did a thread on it…You will love it…
Once you learn to heel toe the pedal,the charge goes on for a long time.
Its the future and its in the infancy stage.
Wonderful ride.
GTJOEY1314

1 Like

Ron, imagine going on a Leak Tour where you need to cover 700 miles a day for three successive days.

Case closed.

LLoyd

“Prediction is very difficult, especially if it’s about the future.”

Physicist Niels Bohr

1 Like

Yes-and…

Those of you who live in California and must purchase your electricity from PG&E will pay more per mile than running on gasoline. (By a quite measurable amount)

LLoyd

Physicist Niels Bohr

2 Likes

This precisely my concern. I’ve looked for an app that allows for trip planning, including ability to reserve charging at strategic points. Tesla has this. I’ve not found anything satisfactory. The ones I’ve found let you see where the stations are, but if they are all busy when you get there, you might be SOL. Any suggestions?

expensive toys… not worth the money and effort… the preserve of the eco-loonies who drive in an urban environment… These things aren’t worth the trouble… you’ll see dozens of them in the scrap heap in 10 years…

suggestion… buy a 90s jag and look after it!

I’m not sure I agree with all of that. Given the state of development of the vehicles and infrastructure today, from a usage standpoint I can almost see the advantage of an electric for around the town jaunts where range isn’t an issue. I say almost, because on the other hand it makes little economic sense for many., many people to keep an electric for local use and a gas powered car for road trips.

It would surprise me if electric vehicles turn out to be an interim step, much like CFLs came to be an interim step in the transition from filament lighting to LEDs.

In response to comments, I do drive older Jags, but I, too, believe that the electric is the car of the future. I’ve been driving a hybrid electric Chevy Volt since 2013 and love it, but It’s electric range is best for an around town car - yet, it can go long distance on conventional infrastructure. It raises the question of why to build an expensive (beautiful) car with a 240 mile range without a plan for long range charging? You don’t need 240 miles for around town, but it’s not enough to be comfortable with distance. I’m coming to the conclusion that cars in this range will quickly be replaced with more long range choices as soon as they become available, and, although I would like to bite, I’m fearful that the car wouldn’t see long-term ownership. I’m mystified why Jaguar would spend billions on development, but miss the basic question of infrastructure. What am I missing here?

1 Like

Don’t forget to add in the extra stays at motels, which will, of course, be priced higher near the charge stations…

LLoyd

Physicist Niels Bohr

1 Like

Ron… where do you live? What utility company serves you? And, what are your elec. rates?
LLoyd

Physicist Niels Bohr

1 Like

Ron you sound like GTJOEY.
GTJOEY1314

… you were a big late, but made up for that with STYLE!!!

:wink:

I’d lay Vegas odds, that is precisely how it will go down.

Actually, I’ve decided to test drive one tomorrow - don’t know if it will become my 5th Jag. It’s a lot of money, but you can’t take it with you, and I do believe strongly in energy conservation. I agree that it won’t hold value like my e-types do now. However, what was a series 1 e-type worth in the late 70’s?
Apparently, Jaguar has something more going on with trip planning than is apparent from their website, according to their salesman. I’ll report on it. BTW, we do have cheap electricity on the Pacific Northwest, and I make a lot of power with my 6.5 Kw solar array.

1 Like

Ron you will be hooked
But…as I’ve said if you have it and want to spend it God Bless You
But
For the masses it’s way to much knowing in 6 moths is outdated
That’s why they should be doing two year leases
Get the people going…,
If you have not driven one you cannot comment because it’s that good!
It’s not a go kart
I really thought I could take mine home but
I drove my DB4 instead and the world was alright!
Gtjoey/314

Jaguar are looking at combo deals where they sell you an I-Pace plus, say, two weeks use of a non range-limited model for the long trips for vacation or to see family,etc. It might be worth getting ahead of the curve and trying for something similar yourself.

Pete, Interesting that you should bring that up, as that is pretty much the conclusion I came to. My solution is a bit different. When you have a longish trip, loan your I-Pace to a trusted friend or family member who will get a thrill out of driving it for a few days, and will not mind the few extra miles on their ordinary driver. In my case it’s my son, who is buying my late model Volvo which, as of today, is being replaced with an I-Pace. Only test drive one of these if your spouse won’t throw you out when you show up in the driveway with it. And do warn your passengers before you floor it to avoid injury from whiplash. The car is fantastic, as you already know, of course.

The software that they are pushing in the US for trip planning is called Charge Point, and I’ll report back when I have the chance to see how it works.:blush: