Trunk 1.5 roadster pictures requested

Yes! I have been looking for that! Thank you.

After looking, it is not on the car,
However I found it in a box and wondered what it was, now I know and need to reinstall. There were new meta/thin pieces in the bag with it, I assume plan was to make a new one as the old one looks terrible.

If it were me I would try to make the original work but if beyond saving here is a link with info about a place that makes them.

David
68 E-type FHC

1 Like

I am not sure about the series 1.5 but that does not look like an original body tag to me. The numbers should be pressed in from the back side and the tag itself should be aluminum. The corners should also look much more finished and the 4E script should be smaller ythan the rest of the numbers. I would tend to go for a replacement tag as the replacement will look much more original. I am basing my comments on the series one tag so if series 1.5 are different someone will correct me. The series 2 tags evidently have all the font the same size.

1 Like

Here’s the body tag from my S1.5. I believe it to be the original.

1 Like

It looks dangerously close to level to me. Must be a Wednesday car :grinning:. So evidently series 1.5 font is all the same size.

1 Like

Mine is slightly off center and tilted at a 5 degree angle. Either a Monday car or after a lunch at the Pub… :laughing:

2 Likes

Here is what mine looks like, also at a slight angle, just another manic Monday.

1 Like

Thank you. Not sure where the tag I posted was mounted but it sure looks original.

As Geoff said, the one you posted a photo of is not an original Jag part. Looks to be a really poor reproduction that your Dad inherited from a P.O. Your Series 1.5 should have one that looks like the one posted by Rob or Ed.

1 Like

Hey Candice / Nichole

If you look at the date of build of the car on the heritage certificate… you can figure out the day of the week it was built… from this you can deduce the orientation of the tag as under on the clock face whether day or night shift!

Monday 12:00

Tuesday 1:30

Wednesday 3:00

Thursday 4:30

Friday: any angle mostly upside down!

Hope this helps :joy::joy:

2 Likes

Will that hole allow emergency opening of latch in the event of cable failure? I have the same hole w/rubber plug.

Thanks all, I need to see what *else that might be.

Yes, it certainly will! I have tested it.

Fantastic.

Wondering if that was added in later models or if PO put the hole there.

More confident in testing the latch now.

:raised_hands:t3: :laughing:

I don’t recall if this picture was shared in one of your threads or not. It may be helpful. Note that I didn’t make a special tool. A screwdriver works just fine!

1 Like

OK, more trunk questions:

1.) The little holes along where the wood panels sit in the trunk, are those little holes filled with bumpers? Maybe like in the Gas fill lid area?

2.) What is the exact item number for the welded stud hardware that is missing here? Plan to do as Doug suggested and epoxy weld in a new one and paint over.

3.) Will the top trunk latch always require shims and what color should they be? We have some and they are painted black (original part I assume)

https://www.sngbarratt.com/English/#/US/parts/bad10ee9-037e-47f7-b074-ff01291ac814?fromList=Search%20for%20`trunk%20latch%20shim`

In case it helps this '68 OTS shows several pics of the trunk (boot) from various angles. There is also another nice looking '68 OTS bidding right now that has 300+ pics posted. It is easy to look at all the E’s they have auctioned by typing E-TYPE in the search function at the top of the screen. If you go back to Sept 2020 there is a primrose '65 OTS that was claiming to be almost all original. It was just a few miles from my house so I went to look at it. It was in really nice shape. It has 200+ pics posted.

David
68 E-type FHC

2 Likes

David,

This is very helpful.

Thank you