Upgrade sway bars anyone

Um…fourteen.

:confounded:

1 Like

Years ago Terry Lippincot installed CJs uprated front bar and poly bushes on my 66FHC. The rear bar remained original. At the same time, Terry installed CJs uprated adjustable shocks and springs. He told me he spent several hours driving it and adjusting the set-up to “get it right”. His set-up definitely made a difference, as Mike said in the “seat of the pants” feel.

Go for it Joey…

Be careful with messing with the suspension.
The stock setup is designed for racing (150MPH), and is as close to perfect as can be reasonably tuned. Also the balance is 51/49.
That said, I put a heavy duty front sway bar, with standard rubber bushings on the PrtyKty for autocrossing. That’s because I race at much lower speeds and it needs to be tuned slightly different. There is an option which is to remove the rear sway bar, but for me that leaves too much sway, so I added a heavier front bar, along with Koni adjustables set at appprox. 50%. It turns much flatter that way.
LLoyd

It’s not what you look at that matters. It’s what you see.
Henry David Thoreau

1 Like

I’m pretty sure I’ve told the story before: back in the late 70s, early 80s, I built a monstrously fast Volkswagen Rabbit for a customer of mine: we called it "Super Bunny! "

It had 140 wheel horsepower, slammed to the ground, shod with what was at the time the hot performance tire, Phoenix Stahlflex, and many other suspension mods.

At an autocross, one of the front swaybar mounts broke, so we zip tied it on with about 250 big zip ties, because I couldn’t weld it at the track… The car handled better!

We just left it that way. :grimacing:

What do you mean?

I have corner weighed my car, #1S20183 and posted the results here.

Full fuel tank, spare wheel, jack and tools all onboard as well as me (72kg) in the driver’s seat.

50,3% on front axle and 49,7% on rear axle. Very well balanced which can be fealt when doing three or four wheel slides. YMMV.

Cheers!

I’m playing, the series 3 is a different beast that’s all
Wider , longer , smoother
A real Gtjoey😀
Now on the 7/8 that’s what I will try I left Dan a message
Hopefully today I can order it
Gtjoey

One just never knows where these JL discussions venture. So interesting. But Joey, at least you got your question answered!

Please explain to me the concept of a “three wheel slide.”

???

Inside front off the ground, didn’t you watch the stadium trucks???

That’s not an attitude I’ve ever seen a Jaguar in, most certainly not on the street! :smirk:

Just my personal experience.
When I collected my car from its PO it had an extremely high front ride height, having previously been too low. The clowns, who purportedly were experienced in all matters E-Type, had simply rotated the wishbone by one spline on the TB each side. The car went from being too low by about 1/2” to being too by almost 2”. The result was mahoosive under steer. I’ve had two goes at correcting the ride height since. I’m happy ish with it now - at least I’ve got rid of the under steer. I would never had the confidence in the setup to throw it around a track (like, say, Goodwood), even if I had the talent (which I don’t).

The other car, a Honda S2000 has neutral steering right up until the tyres give way (rears first), then it snaps. Probably the reason why so many end up in hedges or around lamp posts.

That’s actually a bit of a problem with modern cars: their handling limits are so high, that they are generally beyond the capabilities of most street drivers. That’s why you see so many videos on YouTube of super cars stacked up against curbs, poles, mountains…

1 Like

Wow
With all this worldly experiences how come I never see another Etype on the road but me​:rofl::rofl::rofl::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:

Drivers with more enthusiasm than skill. Every guy out there thinks he is the greatest driver in the world.

Cheers
DD

2 Likes

I know: I got all of them, when I was teaching remedial driving for the driving school I worked for…:persevere:

Case in point, Independence Pass, June 2021, XK521
Cheers,
LLynn

1 Like

Oh shit! :grimacing::grimacing::sob::sob:
20char

Yep… and I’ll leave it there.

I will add this: Im happy no one was hurt, and I’m VERY sorry…for the car.

Just curious , did the DTYPE have an upgraded sway bar :slight_smile:
Ouch!
gtjoey1314

2 Likes

“Interesting data point, but I would argue that the intended audience for the S3, and the intended driving characteristics had shifted considerably from when the E-type was first introduced.”
LOL… thou hast a mouthful said.
LLoyd

It’s not what you look at that matters. It’s what you see.
Henry David Thoreau

1 Like