V8 Engine Swap in my 76 XJ6C

So I am now ready to start the Corvette TPI install in my XJ6C. I come to find out the oil pan has to be replaced with a non Corvette 305 or 350 camaro or truck oil pan because the Corvette oil pan will not clear the steering rack or crossmember. I found a pair of interjag engine swap motor mount bases at wrecking yard but they seem to be too short and the angle is also not lining up with engine motor mounts. So my friend is modifying the interjag mounts to fit. I have ordered the new engine harness from Helm in Michigan, I should be receiving it by end of this week so I can get started installing it this weekend.

2 Likes

Cool Be sure to post some pics on your progress? What tranny are you using?

The leadig suppliers of GM to jag mounts are jaguar Specialties and Johns cars. others in the
older days.

Can you post pictures. Mine came from johns cars and fit just right. but, attach to the block a bit differentlly. More forward and thusly, the engine is further back.

Altering the pan is not beyond doable if needed Mine did not need any. but, my power is LT1.

Read jaguar Specialties web site. Similat conversions there by the owner. Andrew Weinberg… Good guy. always helpful…

Carl

yes pics please!
good luck with the swap
as mentioned above i have used John’s cars for a carb 350 chebby conversion many moons ago and andrew’s kit for an ls1 swap recently.
both good kits.
Andrew always answered the phone if i had a question
is the TPI platform still being supported?

| JAY_COOLE
January 9 |

• | - |

yes pics please!
good luck with the swap
as mentioned above i have used John’s cars for a carb 350 chebby conversion many moons ago and andrew’s kit for an ls1 swap recently.
both good kits.
Andrew always answered the phone if i had a question
is the TPI platform still being supported?

I have gotten price quotes for engine swap kit for a Corvette TPI from both Jaguar Specialties and John’s Cars. Jaguar Specialties $1,600 and John’s Cars $2,000. I have gotten a quarter breed conversion kit from John’s in the past and it was a breeze to install, it took all of 6 hours, which John said it would take if you have backyard mechanic skills which I do. The Chevy transmission really woke up the Jag from a lazy and slow off the line take off compared to the BorgeWarner transmission. My 87 XJ6 has been much more enjoyable to drive ever since the tranny swap. I did the swap in 2009. As for the V8 conversion on my XJ76COUPE I haven’t decided who’s conversion kit I will get.

Jag Angel

| Bill_James
January 8 |

• | - |

Cool Be sure to post some pics on your progress? What tranny are you using?

I will be using the 700R4. I have not decided yet whether to get John’s Cars or Jaguar Specialties conversion kit. John’s is $2,000 and Andrew’s is $1,600. But leaning towards John’s due to I have read good things about his kits, but the cons as well regarding getting him to return calls or getting a hold of him for support. I must say though , that when I got the quarter breed conversion kit from John in 2009 for my 87 XJ6 he was available every time I called and he provided great support / technical advice when I needed it. I will post pictures once I have purchased the kit and get started on the conversion.

Jag Angel

1 Like

that low 1st gear in the 700r4 makes a big difference!

And not to forget the nice cruise in OD!!!

Jay:

Check out the inventory of the parts provided in each of the two kits.

As i recall, Johns kit left the car more jaguar, and Andrew’s made it more GM…

I did get some stuff from Andrew as well

I got my help from Mike at Johns cars. he may or may not be there anymore.

FAX was my best way of reaching Johns cars…

interesting idea. i never sat down to compare both kits side by side.
been probably 10yrs since i used a “johns” kit.

and as for the FAX, that goes hand in hand with the '80’s TPI conversion, no? lol! :laughing:

I have always wanted to see what would happen if someone took their time with an XJ6C and carefully installed a 6.2 liter Supercharged engine that fits in the ZR1 complete with an 8-speed transmission. (This can be ordered directly from Chevrolet for $29.100.76) this is a “plug and cruise” arrangement. All you need is the proper driveline, transaxle, and suspension to drive it.

Beyond that, the brakes should be carbon/ceramic ventilated discs because you are going to have 200+ mile-per-hour Jaguar XJ6C that will outperform anything even remotely like it on four wheels.

1 Like

i am putting a 6.2 supercharged ZL1 engine in my '68 AMC Rebel, but with only a 4 speed auto. if i could find an XJ6C in decent shape and price, it would be my next project

I have 2. 1987 XJ6 and 1992 XJSC both with 1994 Caprice police interceptor engines [LT1]. Love the 4L60E transmission. Not altogether thrilled with the location of the Optispark distributor but I do like its design and performance.
I was originally going to use a 383 built from an 85 Camaro, but CA requires that the engine be newer than the car.
I am still not satisfied with the air intake which now just curves off to the driver’s side of the engine compartment. Am wondering about fabricating 2 slender rectangular boxes to fit on either side of the radiator that would allow me to have the air filters behind the headlights. I happened to get this idea watching some guys installing commercial heating/ac ducts. They fabricated something like this adding 6" round fittings on either side to accept standard ducting from the plenum. I was thinking something similar to accommodate 3" round tubing and a 3" cone filter. Just not sure about the sufficiency of the air flow since there is not much space on the sides of of the radiator.

I have a 90 Buick Reatta that came with the standard 3800 Buick V6. I am contemplating replacing that with the Supercharged L67. The Series I L67engine is a drop-in to the Reatta which never got it [although they were put in Riviera that shares a lot with the Reatta]. Unfortunately, the transmission that goes with the L67 does not bolt right into the Reatta without serious mods, and the stock Reatta tranny won’t survive driving the supercharger as it was intended.

Mike was there last year. Both John and Andrew are very nice and incredibly helpful.

I have been happy with the parts I have gotten from John’s Cars in the past. I BBC am getting the conversion kit from him for my XJ6C.

I would perform some research and determine the torque/horsepower limitations for the engine and how well this it fit your application.

It this intake plan for your XJSC or your XJ6?

Bob, since both cars have identical 94 Caprice LT1s, if I could get something to work, I’d use it in both.

Angel, when driven hard, the supercharged motor is just too much for the stock transmission and I am unwilling to get into the cutting and welding necessary to use the transmission that came with the L67. Replacing the 3800 with the L67 with that limitation is strictly for bragging rights, not performance. Since it is not a very difficult installation, there are plenty of L67s in the wrecking yards, and the 3800 in my Reatta convertible is pretty tired, I may yet do the swap and live with the necessity of driving with a soft toe.

I wish I had seen this thread earlier, Angel. Not sure what year engine you are using. I have a very nice unused custom wiring harness for a project I never started and also a complete harness out of an 85 Camaro that I got when I built that into a 383 for the XJ6.
Just never got around to selling either.