We've only gone and done it ... Quad-Cam V12

Well done Neville!

Can you explain the water flow. It looks like you are returning from the back of the heads. I guess it is too early to know whether you have even temperature distribution across the cylinders.

It will be fascinating to see if you can crack the original 500bhp with some more modern thinking.

Cheers
Mark

2 Likes

Mark - I expect there to be dramatically better cooling - time will tell!

We carried out a trial installation in a S3 E-Type today. Fits like a glove! Could almost have been made for this conversion. Seriously - fits so well with seemingly more space than with the standard installation. No bodywork mods needed. Perhaps a case of “what should have been?”.

Perhaps a new lease of life for those unloved 2+2s?

6 Likes

OK! OK!!!

Now I want an S3 coupe…:wink:

What is the weight of the “Nev-Twelve©” motor, compared to an OE 12?

Dunno … I’ll weight them one day. My heads are lighter that the equivalent XK 6-cyl heads and a little heavier than the SOHC heads. Block is the same as the SOHC block of course.

1 Like

Series 3 front frames on a SWB tub !! I assume it`s been done.
Certainly the route I would go, even with a 6.
Peter B

I really did not need to see that in a series 3…I still have kids to get through school…I better start saving now…Jeff S. Atlanta, GA

3 Likes

Well it looks like I need a series 3 E-type then… anyone got $80k?

1 Like

Looks like a LWB tub, to me…?

This this?

Don’t forget to add another $80k for the heads LOL…

1 Like

I meant way to go Paul not the car in photo ! The Leno conversion one method obviously, as it’s been done !
Peter B

1 Like

Must be some weight savings by deleting the 4 carbs and manifolds.

Amazingly good looking engine. I want one, but also know that won’t happen. :frowning:

The thing I’d like to know is if anyone ever figured out why the original XJ13 crashed and how to update the design to eliminate that instability. That would make the notion of building a replica far more appealing.

IF I remember correctly, one of the tires failed causing the crash.

Yes - it is pretty well documented now that the crash was likely caused by a rear tyre plugged to cure a slow leak.

No “instability” - and I speak as someone who has pored over each and every test report.

The car, even undeveloped, was stable and confidence-inspiring enough for David Hobbs to have set a UK lap record at MIRA of 161 mph. A record that was to stand for 32 years when it was broken by the McLaren F1 road car.

The basic design also survived Norman’s unintended “crash test”. Essentially only a re-skin was needed. The basic monocoque/chassis survived intact.

1 Like

Easy: don’t go really fast on the banking. You should be fine.

:grimacing:

Ha ha … but lets be honest. Given half a chance wouldn’t we all have put that right foot down?

1 Like

Sure… if it had seat belts, and I had a skid lid…:wink:

Neville if all else fails keep your foot down, and drive thru it!
the thrill is worth the effort, and we will not die untill we do die!

That’s astonishing - Jaguar was that penurious to patch a leaky tire being used for high-speed testing? Maybe standards were different back then, but I would never depend on a patch for a tire that would be operated at triple-digit speeds for more than a few minutes (and that’s on the street driving straight-line, not hard track duty.)

Dave