What did you buy for Christmas?

Nicely done! It’s a good look. Cleaning… well that’s a different story. I have Dayton’s on two of my XJ saloons. Looks fantastic when clean. I use
Groit’s heavy duty
it works well, BBS approved (for whatever that’s worth) the shine lasts, and makes subsequent clean ups much easier. I also user their wheel brush.
Where a shirt that you don’t care about when cleaning. Whenever I get around cleaning these wheels, I end up looking like a Dalmatian. Black (dirt) spots all over me and my clothes. :blush:

What rubber are you planning on wrapping those beautiful pieces of eye candy?

1 Like

Rubber is TBD, car wont be done for a couple of years. I will buy the tires last.

1 Like

Good idea: buy them 2 weeks before it needs them

Bought a car cover and a five stage HVLP turbine paint sprayer. The makeshift paint booth in the garage is situated in the E-type’s parking space, so the Jag will have to sit outside when I spray the street rod. Anxious to see if the claims about minimal overspray are true.

Keep us up to date on this one. I’ve got 3 XJ6’s that need a respray. Typical Series III paint cracking… in some of my documentation on the Series III’s it gives a “paint fault guide” indicating the cracking prone to the 80’s XJ’s is a factory issue and is covered under a recall.

I wonder if Jaguar will still honor the recall. haha.

I’d love to see your makeshift paint booth. I’ve been kicking around ideas in my head about how I’m going to accomplish a make shift paint booth. I’m thinking either a PVC frame with reflective sided solid insulation fastened to the frame with a filtered fan on top, and a filtered holes on either end. I’ve been kicking around building a rased base, then have the fan out the outside pulling the air down under the car. I’m thinking that’s a great way to using your freshly painted car as a test bed for how well I’ve sealed the booth, and how well the filters work.
Still thinking this one through. If it’s worth thinking about, then it’s worth over-thinking. right? :slight_smile:

So far I’ve simply wrapped the inside of the attached garage (floor to ceiling) with 4 mil plastic, and piped in heat off the furnace via an 8" insulated hose. Best outside temperature I’m going to get this time of year is in the 50’s. I’m going to wait on the filtration aspect until I get an idea of just how much these HVLP systems will actually cut down the overspray. If I have to add a suction fan and filter I’ll try pulling the (heated) air out through a filter and then pumping it right back in. No way my heat supply could cope with sucking out all the warm air and dumping it outside. My plan is to shut off heat to the rooms in the house and maximize flow to the garage/booth. Wonder how my spouse will feel about cooking and sleeping in a snowmobile suit and a full face respirator mask for a few days…

New PS pump and rack. Hope to have back for XMas.

Good thinking about the heat aspect. I figured I’d use one of those radiant dish heaters to get the booth warm, but didn’t think about the obvious - keeping the heat in… there is overspray with the HLVP guns. But not as much as the old canister syphon type that I used many years ago (with lacquer paint). My major concern is the paint - getting the proper mix and getting on right. because the days of sanding to the desired finish are long gone. My paint supplier doesn’t carry laquer based paints anymore. so that’s my concern. I do have access to a booth for a nominal fee. it might be worth it.

Practicing; and over spray
I went down to my local autopaint supplier and asked for screw up mixes they gave me a couple of gallon’s worth to practice with. I’ve got an hold bonnet and boot that I practiced on to see how I’d fair. First go around not so good. what a disaster. either too dry and orange pealed or too wet and ended up with some runs. Once cured, I thought I’d try sanding it off. it worked ,but the end result was noticeable; to me anyway - I’m my own worst critic.

LOL Well I know how mine would respond. Hell she doesn’t even like Jaguars Can you imagine that?!

1 Like

When I went to view the car I eventually bought, there was a chap there taking delivery of his car after some aftersales fettling. (I bought my car from a then famous retailer of E-Types.). I was told this chap’s car was delivered to him on Xmas eve, having been bought by his wife. She hadn’t stinted, it was (or looked like) a properly restored S1 OTS in silver grey.

With a deep and sad heart I have to say that my SWMBO does not have pockets that deep. I might be lucky and get a fine aged single malt. Or I might get a paint brush and a pot of emulsion paint and told not to come out of the spare room until all surfaces have been refreshed.

1 Like

I resemble that statement.

1 Like

do this…and 20…

I too have access to a booth at the media blaster’s facility. But I’m painting this particular vehicle piecemeal. Frame, fenders, hood, bed (truck), doors, then the cab. In process steps include epoxy primer, redo finish body work destroyed after blasting, then urethane primer, then sand, then final paint, then glass reinstall. The nominal booth rental fees would become substantial, and the logistics of dragging large body parts/tools/supplies back and forth and scheduling around other renters objectionable. I did everything except final exterior paint on the E-type in a makeshift home-built booth. Then built trollies to haul the assembled chassis and bonnet over to the painter. A lot of trouble and logistics even for that small exercise.

1 Like

MLee, I’ve painted 7 cars in my temporary booth. Really just 2 tandem bays draped in 6 mil from the rest of the garage.

Consider mounting a steel wire around the area at the ceiling, stretched tight with turn-buckles. I cut the 6 mil floor length and hang it on the wire with office-style clips from Staples. The entire booth fit in a large plastic storage box and sets up in less than an hour.

A daisy-chain of short extension cords and bulbs gives lots of light to check reflections as you go. A row of 20" box fans takes care of the rest.

2 Likes

the plastic looks like it doesn’t go to the ceiling?

What about leakage around the edges and bottom of the garage door?

Is the garage extra deep or is that just an illusion?

The fans draw so much air, if the seal was perfect the plastic would billow into the space so the seal shouldn’t be too good. Also, the fresh air has to enter somewhere. I prefer at the top rather than the floor where the dust is.

It’s not a professional booth by any means, but I am getting very good results. As long as airborne contaminants are controlled you can get a decent paint job in your back yard especially if you’re spraying a one-stage color.

2 Likes

Nice! Tubeless?

The Boss bought me the Haddock-Mueller originality book, but I’m not suppose to know that.

This morning my sister gave me my late BIL’s MIG welder. So, I’m one happy camper.

I don’t know much about paint booths, but with a fully enclosed booth don’t you want the fans blowing filtered air in and the air pushed out through filters so you have positive pressure in the booth?

I bought a new shop vac.

1 Like

If you push air in, the fumes will escape at every gap/opening. Pulling air out allows you to control where the fumes go and the direction of air flow.

Easy enough to Google this to get more info than I’m willing to type.