What did you do to your E-Type today? (Part 1)

But lots of DNA… :grin:

Along with traces of fuel, Castrol, 3M sandpaper grit in various sizes, dust of old black paint and primer. One look at my garage and the cops would know they were in the right place.

3 Likes

I modified your sentence, in an effort to help you feel better: IME, pretty much any old car presents similar challenges. Be thankful you didn’t have to remove that bleeping tank…!

But, hey, as a hobby, it beats mumblypegs!

1 Like

What did I do today? I actually did something. It wasn’t much. I had replaced all the coolant hoses several months ago but not the clamps and was having trouble with lots of coolant leaks, so I replaced all the clamps and tightened them down really well.

The only reason I bother to post this is because each of the previous 60+ days I have done nothing. I had let life and negative inertia keep me from moving forward. I’m starting to get motivated again. :smile:

I fully grok that; I have to reeeeeeally push myself, some days, to do a–any–productive thing. Yesterday, I cranked up the Rover, which had sat since I rallycrossed it, and drove it around the section. That was enough creative fuel to get me in the garage, and continue cleaning it up.

1 Like

I think the photo says it all. Got enough clamps?

Ok, let’s not even talk about cleaning the garage.

2 Likes

There is no such thing as ‘too many’ clamps.

:wink:

2 Likes

Do kids today know what mumblypegs is? Or let alone what a jack knife is?

Today, actually a couple days ago, I managed to keep from getting ripped off!!

On an almost new front tire, I had picked up a wall board screw and the tire was going down (see photo).

I limped over to my local tire shop to have them plug it. They said that the hole was too near the edge of the tread and it could not be patched. I said I don’t want a patch, just a plug because the tire can be left on the car. They said that plugs have been outlawed and they don’t last very long. The hole is too close to the edge and the sidewall so the tire has to be replaced. I said that I have been using plugs for fourty years and never had one fail.

So they pumped up the tire to 45 lbs. and I drove her home and plugged it myself.

Been a few days since that and it’s still holding. I expect it will last the life of the tire.

LLoyd

2 Likes

Well, duhhhh… How about if I include the picture…

1 Like

I have probably plugged 50 tires in the last 30 years. Never had a failure except for the one time I somehow missed the channel where the nail went in. That was immediately obvious and did require an internal patch.

I have plugged tires in that same position, never an issue: if off the tread, it’s iffy.

Tire shops are just risk-averse, and in today’s tort-crazy America, I’d be the same, we’re I still in business.

It should work, but that is no longer a 140 mph tire. I have inner tubes, so welcome to the speed limited club. There is still lots of opportunity for fun times on twisty roads which is my preference anyway.

Today was a beautiful Fall day in Michigan, 68 , sunny and Fall colors all over. We took the “E” for an hour drive had lunch and drove back home. Car ran well, plenty of smiles and thumbs up.
Many classics on the road enjoying what is probably the last chance before the weather turns bad.

Marco.

Went to the local All-British car show today. Showed off the new-to-me Borrani wire wheels and the new VR rated Vredestein tires

3 Likes

Encountered very little traffic in the Carolina / N. Georgia mountains on my way home from Euro Auto Festival at Greenville.
Perfect weather today. Unfortunately, not so good yesterday with cold rain all day. 4 E Types.

2 Likes

In 1967, when my car war made, there was no requirement to fit hazard lights. And for all of its nearly 53 years my car has had no such fitment. However, here in Blighty the authorities have deemed it OK to repurpose the hard shoulder of many of our motorways as driving lanes. While this may help to reduce congestion it really fecks things up if you have a breakdown. Just imagine if you are driving my car with no hazard lights to warn drivers behind that the reason you are stationary is that the car won’t go any further. So for the last few days I’ve been fitting a non period hazard light switch to my car.

I was quite pleased with the result, a neat compact switch that fits neatly under the rim of the instrument panel. I will now feel safer venturing onto our new so-called Smart Motorways.

Maybe the motorways are smart, but the average driver not so much! :angry:

Nice mod, I hope you never need to use it!

Interior got painted today;

2 Likes