What did you do to your E-Type today? (Part 1)

Steve, the Zenith Stromberg carbs require oil in the dampers. I use Marvel Mystery Oil, but some use motor oil or ATF. Oil in the ZS carbs is normal.

Sorry not the carbs, BEHIND the carbs in the secondary intake on the way to the engine.

Anyone familiar with this wear on the pistons? Its been suggested its an overheat of the block at some point.
Liners are not damaged (obviously harder than the pistons) some alluminium flakes in the big end bearings.
Wear is uniform on each piston

Given thatā€™s the narrower face of the piston, that appears to be either too-tight a fit, and/or a severe overheat.

Crisp autumn air, dry leaving swirling across a deserted country road and the green mountains in the distance. The only thing that could have improved this drive would have been having my dad along to see how well his beloved e type was running.

6 Likes

He was, in some plane: every time I drove Tweety, the weight of the sense of Mom and Dad being in the car was enjoyably palpable.

3 Likes

Nice day in C Springs; 75Ā° F vice the 25Ā° F and snow of last Thursday. Took out my newly media blasted and vapor blasted aluminum parts to drool . . . and sigh.

Some assembly still required ā€“ just some

But need a bigger garage to assemble my E-Type; getting there. The 25 pole holes have been drilled and the piers poured. This week (15-18OCT19) the builders are constructing the lam poles and will set them in a few days).

4 Likes

Got tired of playing footsie with my clutch and brake and fabricated an offset pedal mount. Looks almost as good as the original one on the right. That little bit of offset makes a difference.

2 Likes

I did that too, but bought mine on EBay. SNG or XK sells them too. Makes a difference! I changed the brake pedal because my foot was so tight between the gas and brake.

I actually did the brake pedal 6 months ago but Iā€™m only showing the last one I just welded up for the clutch. After I moved the brake, for the same reason you mentioned, I wanted to move the clutch over by the same amount. My cost was a bit of scrap metal that I had lying around, a couple of bolts, some spray paint and a bit of Mig consumables. Delivery less than a day. -:wink:

1 Like

I didnā€™t find an issue with the distance between clutch and brake.

My issue with the clutch pedal is/was it hurt my foot because the clutch requires a pretty good push. When needing to use it a fair amount, the center of my foot would start to hurt from the pressure concentrated there with the thin and beveled pad. I replaced the pad with one from an XK, wider and flat. Yesterday, drove the car for an hour in mostly unpleasant conditions, traffic and slow (Iā€™m curing the ceramic coating on the headers) and had no pain in my foot. I posted a picture of it , #3118, in this thread.

1 Like

Good to know this is available. For now Iā€™m okay with the original rubber pad and itā€™s shape. Maybe my clutch pedal is a bit easier to push. Thanks for sharingā€¦

What brand? I ask because yesterday I ordered a pint of Cerakote. Smooth sandblast and refinish the manifolds is one of my winter projectsā€¦

1 Like

Cerakote. Glacier Black. Had them done at Bonehead Performance, $160 plus they had my cracks welded at a nearby shop when they spotted them after blasting. Iā€™m pleased with them. Break in cure, per Bonehead, is 1 hr of idling or ā€œnormalā€ driving. Iā€™ve been driving it, not going over 2500 rpm and mostly cruising 1800-2200 rpm not wanting to mess it up. I posted pictures of them in this thread before curing process. Theyā€™ve dulled just a bit since driving and the shiny brass nuts have dulled too.

Thanks. I ordered the semigloss cobra black. Iā€™ll be eager to see how it holds up. Iā€™d previously used the Eastwood product but it eventually lost its ā€œblacknessā€.

I donā€™t see Cobra Black on the Cerakote site, at least not on the 1800 degree paint. I went for the highest temp.

Right here:

https://www.cerakote.com/finishes/?tab=coatings&cat=VSERIES

Ah. Thatā€™s an oven cure color vs. an air cure. Because I sent mine out and they donā€™t fire the headers, they offer air cure colors.

Bonnet on with much help from George Camp. Professionally aligned, back home to install all the undershields and finish interior:

5 Likes

I ā€œloveā€ how little things always seem to turn into big projects with an E. After a nice drive yesterday I noticed a smell of gas in the trunk, and found the gauge sender was leaking a bit on the thru-posts. Not a big issue, just replace with a new one. But the seepage was trashing the paint around the sender, so it time to do some repair. Unfortunately, looking more closely at the top of the tank it appeared when it was previously repainted the chunks of old paint hadnā€™t been sanded off so it wasnā€™t a nice smooth surface.

So, after about 6 hours of hand-sanding the old paint off and more time to mask everything and shoot several coats of primer, I now have a nice, smooth tank ready for topcoat. I now also have nice smooth fingertips. If I ever wanted to go commit a crime, now would be a good timeā€¦no prints!

3 Likes