What did you do to your E-Type today? (Part 1)

Not as good as you guys down there!

Yeah! Today I bought from eBay this Porsche jack. Aluminum (or Aluminium). $65 with the handle, $10 shipping. Rated at 900 KG (1980 lbs). Grind the nub a bit to fit the Jag and I’ve got a great jack. Note the nub in solid. It is from a mid-80s Porsche 944/944Turbo and others.

Haven’t been on that road from Taos even though we frequented Albuquerque and Sante Fe, and Prescott where we’re from. But we do live in the Smoky Mtns and I look forward to driving on Hwy 129, 28, and 209 all in NC and the Blue Ridge Parkway of course. Some day…

2 Likes

I bought the same jack awhile back. It works great! after I had to use it when I picked up a nail. I also made a hardwood lifting block (3" W x 4" L x 2" thick, with a hole for the nib and rubber mat on the opposite side) so I can confidently use it at locations other than the jack point. Let’s hope we don’t need to use these.

1 Like

Speak for yourself! This is mine …

Weber Summit. Six main burners, full width infrared rotisserie burner and side smoker under the hood, side burner out. Used year round, several times per week. Specialities include slow cooked back and short ribs, wings and jerk chicken, burgers and steak, chops and veggies, fish and kebabs …

now I’m getting hungry

2 Likes

Gonna smoke a turkey, this week!

Surprised you didn’t stick to your Canadian roots. I love mine.

https://www.amazon.com/Napoleon-LEX485RSIBPSS-1-Infrared-Burners-Propane/dp/B01N5XX61X

The searing station works wonders.

Really good pork ribs are easy if you have a rotisserie. Weave the spit thru a few of the gaps between bones. Cook mine bare for about 45 min until the meat is just pulling back on the bone. Time might vary with distance from heat. Then pull them off the spit and spread on the BBQ sauce and throw them on the fire for 10-15 minutes to cook in the sauce. Gonna have a batch later today with mustard greens and corn on cob.

1 Like

I was just being a polite Canadian this is my twin eagle set up.

3 Likes

I have a flat top I use for breakfast ( we normally have quite a few visitors except this year), greasy spoon burgers, and roasting coffee, a three burner Weber for steaks and general grilling, and the piste de resistance- a RecTec pellet smoker complete with wireless connectivity. I can be anywhere, and check on the meat temp and then adjust the heat of the smoker if necessary. Especially great for brisket that takes 9 hours or so. I can head to Santa Fe or Albuquerque and keep tabs on everything

1 Like

This is all interesting stuff. We need a new thread in the Pub just for BBQ and grilling.

1 Like

Here in Blighty we have about three days each year when the weather is dry enough for long enough to consider using a barbecue. One of these years I might have to replace the gas bottle.

That’s a good idea James. I have lots of hickory around from an old flooring project. I’ll cut two pieces and bond them together to make some thing similar. Thx.

I respectfully disagree. I am Australian by birth, but lived in London for six years. We got out “The barbie” rain or shine. I remember BBQing chicken drumsticks one Christmas Eve. It was sleeting. We lived a quarter mile from Fuller’s Brewery in Chiswick and it is possible that I may have consumed several pints of Christmas-type ESB while at the helm of said BBQ. That may explain why I was asleep before Santa made it, as I have no memory of seeing him that night.

2 Likes

Make that two of us!

I grille in winter: this past February, we had a -22C day, and the only real effect was it took a little longer to get the electric grill up to temp.

If it’s rainy…it’s fun to see and hear the raindrops sizzle off the lid!

Lost count of the bbq’s weve had this year. Weather has been awesome since lockdown in March! I can only suggest you move to a more arid part of this wonderful Kingdom :slightly_smiling_face:

Ah. BBQ used as a verb. Those in the south it is ONLY a noun. Grilling is the verb​:wink::wink:

WHAT? I didn’t think Coloradians were that desperate!

I possess a CDL… must stay clean.

:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

That explains some things! :joy:

1 Like

Maybe it is a practical thing. We have small gardens/yards, and if the kitchen has a fully functioning oven, why on earth would I not use it when the weather is dire?

A BBQ is only used when everyone can enjoy the cooking and eating outdoors experience. Hiding under umbrellas while gently burning small quantities of meat is not fun, nor is being served a pile of food that cools from flaming to frigid before it can be forked into ones face.

And besides, we eat a lot less meat than our former colonials. Nut cutlets don’t barbecue.