What did you do to your E-Type today? (Part 1)

Yep…Comet is the same.

That’s your problem, Try Bab-O.

1 Like

What, precisely, is “ceramic” about this stuff?

Or is this another goofball marketing hoohaw, like ‘HD toilet cleaner?’

Enquiring minds want to know, latest spinoff of ‘nano’ this ‘nano’ that? I have used the Meguair’s product and I will say it’s easy to use but…
Cheers,
LLynn

Short Google search says that it is in fact ceramic that bonds together as a thin film… nano particles blah blah. I think I will give it a try soon.

I switched to the Meguiar’s Hybrid Ceramic for everyone. I’m done with hand-applied carnauba wax or those fancy 3 step sealants. If the paint is in good condition (i.e. already cleaned of contaminants and swirl-free to the level you like) this stuff works and is much easier to use.

As far as I can tell, it lasts as long as other types of waxes and protectants (I’ve never used the expensive professionally applied ceramic treatments, so cannot compare to those.) For me, it doesn’t matter because if I want, I can reapply with little extra effort every time I wash the car. I have a car parked outside 24/7 in Pacific Northwest drizzle as a test bed.

The ceramic element refers to silicon dioxide. The makers say the dissolved silica fuses into a hard layer when it dries, providing a “glass-like” shell. I don’t know about that, but it seems to work (been using it for 2 years) and has a good lifespan. (for the outdoor parked daily driver, renewal every 2 or so months seems appropriate, with a clay cleaning every year.)

Dave

this is my understanding of the process also. Bare paint for ceramic WG. No water on it for 12 hours.

than you ever want to know about wax, detail , polish at Autopia.org Forum.

I did wife’s 2011 Volvo with Turtle Wax Ceramic, it lasted 2 weeks. Then I cleaned it and clayed it , wiped it down wth WG pre clean then WG Ceramic. Looked great. Two weeks later after driven in two rainstorms and a light snow, I was amazed at how clean the car looked. Not pristine but “clean”. Car lives outside.

The stuff is also great on wheels, if you get them good and clean first.

Finally back at it. What I had hoped would only be a few day layoff due to the plague turned into about a month. Not so much due to illness; a little bit of malaise and a few house projects. Anyway, I had a productive day today. Got the front calipers I rebuilt reinstalled, got the back up and got started removing the IRS. I hope to continue making steady progress over the holidays.

3 Likes

Got bits and pieces back form the platers so finished the handbrake installation and fitted the Fossway bleed kit on the IRS. The handbrake is not a particularly impressive original design in practice but impressive in its complexity…

3 Likes

I was always under the distinct impression that they kept the person who designed that mouse trap of a handbrake mechanism in a round rubber room, to protect him from himself!

1 Like

Quite lovely. I have IRS envy.

2 Likes

Hi Philip…you can improve the handbrake operation/performance with a simple modification…

very simple to cut the rod and weld on a piece of tube…more info here http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=15044&p=122846&hilit=Handbrake+modification&sid=2620cd9a36262f743e8b242a45680ed3#p122846

Properly adjusted it works pretty well.

2 Likes

Have you done this? I did see the original post last night when searching for a good photo of the set up

Hi Philip…yes i have done it…so have quite a few others…its a good simple mod…Steve

No complaints here, my handbrake works well. What issue does the modification address ?

Marco

Full details within this thread…but if your happy with your setup thats great…Steve… http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3459&p=23292&hilit=Handbrake+modification&sid=35dad44813bdefcf493793986a852493#p23292

I heard back from Meguiars this morning.

Although Meguiar’s does not suggest you use one wax before using another wax, it is certainly harmless to do. Some may consider it to be wasteful, however if you are seeing additional shine or can say that you are more confident that your vehicle is protected by the process you are doing then it then becomes a matter of subjectivity.

In other words, although I may not personally apply two different waxes in a single application, you should continue to do this as long as YOU like it. It’s your car

1 Like

Got it , thank you. Although I understand that one side may engage before the other once it does the continued pulling of the lever should allow the other side to engage as well.
That is assuming everything is free to move and the cable properly adjusted.

What are those distracting white things flying across the screen?
Snow flakes /balls ? :blush:

Marco