What did you do to your E-Type today? (Part 1)

My understanding is that early 1.5’s had toggle switches, changed to rockers later.

No- not for North America anyway. The first NA Series 1.5 off the line had rockers- It’s one of the few things that distinguish a 1.5 from the '67 1.25 open headlight cars. My very early (80th OTS off the line) Series 1.5 has rockers.

Interesting, Randall. By that do you mean the earliest RHD S1.5 cars had toggles but were switched over to rockers later on? As Doug says above, the very earliest NA cars were fitted with rockers. This entry for an August, 1967 build LHD S1.5 features rocker switches in the photo gallery.

Your correct Nick…… but this was a late LHD from USA ……it has been converted to RHD ……. Yep wipers can be tricky …… and the stranglebergs are gone along with all the anti pollution gear on the crossovers and exhaust etc……to be replaced by ….3 bright shining SU ‘s

The car al also has the correct LHD fittings for the collapsible steering column…… but the RHD fittings for the original steering column…… I need to investigate this a bit mor as the PO has fitted the steering column ……and it’s just not right!

Yup, I realise you’re doing a conversion to RHD, Danny, saying as a RHD I think you’re going to be period correct with your toggles - and of course your SUs. Seems only the US market got the Stroms in 1968.

1 Like

Nick…I notice that your car has the floor vent knobs …… was that standard?..… I know it was on the 2+2

Yes, standard equipment, Danny. Not the best design.

1 Like

I’ll be throwing them away ….but may use the resultant holes for the ac switches …. If they fit

Block sanded a guide coat on a bonnet, now I need some primer around and round it goes

1 Like

Stew Cleave (Chief Judge) calls the ‘67 open headlight cars Series 1.25’s. There’s no such official Jaguar designation, nor Series 1.5. All open headlight cars before the Series 2 are Series 1’s. The earlier’ 67 open headlight cars had toggle switches, later (‘68’s) had toggle switches, ribbed cam covers, 2 Strombergs etc). That Aug’ 67 car on Xkedata looks like the later '68 cars so that must have been approximately the changeover date.

1 Like

Correction, the later cars had rocker switches.

1 Like

I am fitting the Clayton Radio Tower system where the evap. unit is in the tower. In fact it is fitted and wired up. I am in the final stages.

The original heater is unaffected and the a/c only works on recirculate. Fine in a leaky E-type I think.

I never use the radio, I have a powerful Marshall Bluetooth portable amp connected to streaming on my phone, so all this suits me.

I think it must be a very similar system to the Vintage Air system.

6 Likes

You must love fhc’s, so do I.

From another surveyor.

1 Like

Yes, the series 1.25 and 1.5 monikers are unofficial designations to distinguish when certain changes were made to the cars. As far as Jaguar was concerned, they are all Series 1 cars. The consensus among experts (Clausager et. al.) is that the unofficial “Series 1.5” cars started at vehicle 1E15980. This is a photo of that car:

Clearly this car came with the rocker switches- there were no (unofficial) Series 1.5 cars with toggles from the factory.

Nice looking interior some of you people sure have nice cars well most of you ,the crappy ones seem to be for sale

James …can you post photos of the install as you went along please… also of the unit itself if you have them
Cheers danny

Philip Porter doesn’t agree with that statement.

Collector’s Originality Guide.

Does Porter agree the Series 1.5 cars started at 1E15980? If so then the photo of that specific car above would nullify the toggle switch argument (Specifically for NA cars which this discussion was focused on). If Porter thinks the (unofficial) series 1.5 cars started before 1E15980 then I wonder where he got that information as Jaguar never distinguished any of the Series 1 cars. The advent of dual stromberg/ribbed cam cover/rocker switches is the defacto start of the unofficial series 1.5 cars in NA.

1 Like

According to him, they started at 1E 15980 for US cars, but RHD at 1E 1864, and 1E 16010 for cars exported elswhere.
The photo shows S1.5 style door trim, glovebox lid and heater and choke controls, but toggle switches. He does state that rocker switches were fitted to all US cars, but clearly some cars came with toggles.

1 Like

Got to love these discussions.

1 Like