What did you do to your E-Type today? (Part 1)

So much to learn, no-one knows everything.

1 Like

Sure,I might even have the instructions. They came on A4. It was a good quality and comprehensive kit from Clayton Classics. Definitely easy to fit at home for the DIYer.

I can’t help thinking that exercising your E-type counts as doing something to it, right?

A short run, by my standards, of 500 miles today averaging 77 mph (traffic was pretty bad).

On to Tennessee tomorrow, may do a run on the dragon too next week before heading home to Miami.

12 Likes

I didn’t know where that line was… Now my car is completely disassembled!

2 Likes

With regards to the A/C, this is what the evaporator looks like behind the radio tower. A shot of the compressor and replacement alternator too.

Today I got the grey car on it wheels for the first time in a long time.

Items left to do include cooling hoses, mud guards, brake bleeding, ecu plug in, and testing. Bit high at the front.

2 Likes

Thanks James very neat

Yes, exercising it is doing something! Out for a drive to check out the colours. Cream and red is nice! I guess the leaves look alright too!

7 Likes

Those seats look really comfortable .

James I don’t expect that the speakers went back in the new tower?..… was there any other ducting etc to the outlets ?

No other ducting, as the unit cools the cabin air on recirculate.

The heater remains unaffected.

James,
Are the seats in the car modified originals, or are they from another car?
Bill.

Frank,
Nice photos of the E-Type and the leafs turning color.
Reminds me of my first E-Type; a 68 OTS, cream with red leather.
Bill.

1 Like

James, which gas (R12, R134a, other) do you use and in the end is that A/C system really efficient to cool the cabin?

Hi,
They are MGF seats. The red is the same as Jaguar Red.
I did this to make a bit more space for my legs and torso (head height)
To fit them, I removed the MGF seat base (it pulls off), then removed (cut off) the runners completely.
I also removed the handle for adjusting the rake, as an E type is not wide enough to take the seat otherwise.
I then set the seat on the floor and marked the positions for flat 4 welded plates to each seat, allowing the bolt positions to be drilled to match the captive bolts on the floor. One hole in each plate.
I then bolted the seats directly to the floor using standard 5/16 bolts through the seat base and hardura, then added the seat cover to complete the seat installation.
This gives a lower seat cushion that is slightly further back than the standard seats for 6fters like me.
They also have more cushioning and bolstering.
However, they are not adjustable. That dosnt bother me because I couldnt get enough adjustment out of the standard seats anyway,
I kept the old seats in case I fell like spending £2,000 having them recovered.

2 Likes

R134a.

I dont know if its any good, as the car has never run, its all new.
I suspect that it should be OK with a 3.8 KW output and the windows closed.
It will be interesting to find out, that’s for sure.

Thanks James.
Not easy to find MGF seats in the US. I am getting ready to have series 2 seats slightly modified for more comfort to be installed in my 68 FHC. I was hoping that your solution was simpler than what I’m planning.
Thanks again.
Bill.

Thank you Bill!
As for the seats in James’ car, were you considering a change from original? Early '90’s Miata, maybe, seem to be very comfortable. Going to find a set for my MGB V8 conversion.

Frank.

Frank, I am using series 2 seats with slight modification to increase side bolsters for additional lateral support. With these seats I also get reclining capability.
Bill.

1 Like

V8 conversion!!
How could you. :wink:

1 Like

So, are you the pot or the kettle! :joy: