What did you do to your E-Type today? (Part 1)

I’ve got two 2.88’s left, which are currently still installed in S3 XJ6 parts cars.

After thinking about doing this for a year, I finally got around to removing the two left rear shock absorbers, removed the springs, and installed .33 inch spacers above the lower spring perch. This shortens the springs slightly. I’m trying to correct the left-hand side that is lower than the right. I have yet to drive it, but I’m hopeful I have corrected the problem. Hardly anyone noticed it was lower on the left, but once you do, it bugs you.

Bill how did you decide it was the rear and not the front?

I lifted my car at the center of the picture frame and measured the lean that was caused just by the rear. Could also jack up the rear and measure the front.

What you suggest is basically what I did. I also have an adjustable torsion bar reaction plate. I had already tweaked the left side a bit tighter. It helped but I concluded it was mostly a rear problem.

1 Like

One thing leads to another.
My fuel warning light is permanently on so I removed the tatty original boot boards to check if the sender was wired correctly, which it was, so that still needs to be resolved. While doing that check I placed the boards leaning against the Merc’s front wheel standing under the carport just outside the garage door. Unseasonable rain water trickled in leaving the boards standing in water unnoticed. My already delaminating boards were now much worse.
After leaving for a day to dry out I worked some cold wood glue into the edges & clamped them for another day. I also used wood filler to patch a number of areas where some laminate had splintered off, then sanded smooth & sprayed with rattle can satin black. They now look wonderfully used whereas I had intended making new ones. Now I still have to remove the dash top or under covers to get at that warning light!

Before pulling the dash apart, you may want to troubleshoot and see where the problem is, unless you have already done so. It could be a shorted sending unit.
Tom

Mine stayed on. It was dirt on the contacts of the variable resistor in the sender. A quick wipe with metal polish and (give or take) 10 years later it is still working perfectly.

Thanks Tom & Chris, I’ll have to investigate further. I checked with my test meter, there’s no power on the lead coming from the light. If I understand the wiring diagram the light gets power from the ignition switch via fuse no. 7 & earths via the sender unit. The light on means it’s getting power but earthing somewhere else. I suspect the bulb holder isn’t isolated from the speedo body as it should be. Doesn’t make sense but I’ll check inside the sender as a 1st step to eliminated that as the source.

Interesting to see that, Paul. Is it significantly or potentially better for a tall driver? I’m 6’3 (1.9m)

Randall, if the low fuel light is lit, then yes there must be power to the bulb and there must be a ground from the bulb. (not sure if your car is positive or negative ground.) So with a meter and the light lit, the wire FROM the bulb should not show power, it should show ground, which is what it sounds like you are saying. So it sounds like your sending unit may be grounding that wire all the time- as Chris said his was. Remove the wire from the sending unit and see if the light goes out.
Tom

1 Like

Hi Tom, it’s pos earth. But another thing is the light stays on even with the wire disconnected from the sender unit, so to be seems like the problem is the bulb unit finding earth.

Randall Botha

good, so you did remove the wire, then yes, start tracing back- and it certainly could be the dash. I did not remember you saying you had the wire disconnected.
Tom

2 Likes

It depends a bit on how you are built, long of back or long of leg? I’m 182cm, and fit fine in an FHC, actually found the much maligned 3.8 seats perfectly comfortable for 5 hour journeys. But, I’m skinny with small feet, if you’re a bit bigger a 2+2 is probably a better bet, and S3 better again. Back in the day I would consider nothing but an FHC for aesthetic preference, but today would be more than happy, probably prefer, in fact, a 2+2.

1 Like

Depends on your torso length. I’m 1.8m and my head just touches the roof of my 3.8 fhc, even with the wood spacers under the runners removed

1 Like

Long legs, big feet

I used the stock Jaguar cup holder for my coffee. I’ve done this quite a few times now and so far, no spills (famous last words).

4 Likes

Good trick but I don’t know Danger danger Will Robinson
You’ll get hot coffee all over your dolly( crumpet)

1 Like

That will also extend the life of your brake pads!

1 Like

Ok fitted the aircon system mechanicals today ……had to make a bracket and spacer to get the new alternator adjustment bracket fitted……also check fitted the the carbies and exhaust manifolds ……looking good…… I’m using a set of 3.8 carbies that have been restored…… I’ll keep my series 4.2 set for another car.

2 Likes

I almost have the opposite issue. If the seat isn’t pulled fully forward, I have issues reaching full release of the clutch, almost. Gotten worse as I have lost almost two inches from what it once was. :persevere: