What did you do to your E-Type today? (Part 1)

Nice bike. Do you ride mostly on street or do some cyclo x with it too? :sunglasses:

Well done but looks like your car was osg, now embarrassingly red! :grin::grin:

the paper is just a paper, the other ******* thing is the problem

1 Like

replaced the sisal matt with two layers of 3M and one on the tank. they are not touching I can slide a 8 x 11 lined pad (half used) in and out of the under side.

I f anything it’s that I can’t tighten the rear bolt any more. I had to thread chase the bracket 3 times from the bottom up and once from the top down before I could put a tap through, two or three times. Then the new bare bolt threaded through easily. But on the install it buggered itself and can’t be screwed all the way home. Can’t put an insert in because you can’t get a drill in there. How ever putting all my weight on that corner doesn’t make the tank any lower.

Very impressive storage system. Archival almost. But I am not sure about storing items on top of the sliding shelves. I know I would go looking for something and have the lot come crashing down on my head.

Ah the end one is fixed …… the seats are just sitting there but are I think unlikely to move without a hell of a lot of force
@WayneM those photos of the car were taken at PO place

We think this man has done this work before

Yes but not as well organised in my storage ….I had a factory so I wasn’t too tidy and compact at home ……now I have to be!..… also cleaning out surplus stuff from when we moved to our new house …… currently in my wife’s garage to create space for one of my cars …… then I can fit 2 in my garage comfortably

Ok so it’s home …… now to assess it properly

9 Likes

Some today but most in the last two weekends. Frame rails painted and installed 90 % of front suspension installed. Irs installed and removed her from rotisserie. Still tons to do but progress

8 Likes

Nice work Bob….so I take it that you will build the car up and paint the outside last?

Yes that is the plan. Less chance for me of damaging paint on reassemble and fitting the bonnet prior to paint.

Moving back to the S3 after rescuing an MGB a few weeks ago. Picked up a pedal box with a bent clutch pedal yesterday. Disassembled to straighten the clutch pedal and install a new clutch spring, and media blast the aluminum box. Cleaned, lubed and reassembled. Now it can install with the CMC and i can route/bend a new clutch pipe between this and the flex line.

2 Likes

Well, I managed to clean 9WYO!

Took her for fuel and a drive, such a great driving car.

First time in a long time, she was covered in dust.

I am going to replace the footwells shortly as they have jacking damage from POs. I have always been unhappy with them.

Then I remembered it is going to get cold and no one is using the summer house at the bottom of the garden.

So I crammed her in with her uncle.

Look, they have carpet and lamp shades!

I reckon if I move some weights and a drum kit I can get another one in.

I wonder if I will get told off?

10 Likes

James …… can the footwells not be Reshaped in situ….if not rusty….it seems a pity to have to pull it all apart ……hammers and dollies and judicious heat can do marvellous things to metal ….even if you need someone else to do it!

1 Like

James …… can the footwells not be Reshaped in situ….if

That’s was my immediate though no rust get a hammer and dolly couple of hours

If you cut the old footwells out, mend them, and put them back in, is it still eligible for Survivor Class?

Well,

Anything can be repaired, however they are so easy to change, just a ring of spot-welds to the floor to undo and re-weld. The rest of the floor remains untouched.

They have been jacked on so many times the metal has fatigued in one or two places and started to split. I first noticed it when I purchased the car 7 years ago. I has got no worse in my ownership, however it does niggle me as the rest of the car is so good.

The end result would be nothing like as neat as fitting new ones, so one has to draw the line somewhere.

Today I started to plan out a aircon evap / heater unit for the car …… the air supply will come from the current ducting …. With the current heater acting as the fan box with a really strong static pressure fan …. The in car unit is a combined heat and cool unit …… let’s see how this goes

The current foot and demister holes will feed into the new plenum and then have feeds out to the demisters …and new foot outlets will be installed with rotating closed off vents.
2 x 160mm x 47 and 2 x 80x47 will grace the front opening with directional louvers….the ac and water pipes will entre via the already made hole for the ac pipes ….the water pipes will go through the heater box out the bottom and hopefully will be hidden and the ac piping will be rigid ( as per modern cars) but with flexible pipes to the compressor

Don’t care about radio or ashtray!..radio will be via Bluetooth iPhone with amplifier under passenger seat …… not sure where I’ll put the controls …maybe in centre of grills or below in the bottom facia.

Also will be using series 1 instrument and switch panel and dash facia with. Series 1 controls as well…… it is 1.5 series after all

3 Likes

I stand to be corrected (on many things, this atm) but I’m under the impression all RHD S1.5 cars were fitted with the toggle switch dashboard - in addition to triple SUs. While my Canadian delivery S1.5 was fitted with rockers I also did the conversion to toggles and documented the process here:

Fairly straightforward, though the wiper switch is a little tricky.

2 Likes