What did you do to your Saloon today

Yes, it is a MK7m. Didn’t know about the differences in the Rev-counters :+1:

Refurbished the battery strap , when I put the car togeather some 8 years back now , I used a big washer and filed edges , so it fit nice in the strap !

1 Like

Today I gathered up acid, acetone, and baking soda to clean out a very dirty fuel tank.

1 Like

My battle with very dirty tank (over 1/2 inch of 50-yo gasoline crude) started with base, i.e. Sodium Hydroxide NaOH. It’s way safer for steel metal than any acid (can be left for days without risk), eats paint, dissolves grease, tar, some rust. But it’s harmful to skin & eyes, so must be handled carefully. It’s biodegradable, so can be flushed down. And its cheap.

2 Likes

Thank you. I’ll have to check on where I can buy some locally. All the item I’ve bought so far were needed to use the Eastwood’s tank cleaning and coating kit. I’m concerned about using the coating in a tank like I have because of the baffles. It may be hard to get the coating distributed everywhere it is needed.

The good drain cleaners or maybe something like pool cleaners or more industrial supplies. Ebay.

Common names are lye or caustic soda.

There may be some coating like that that works, but I have not seen one yet that won’t eventually peel off and cause even bigger problems.

I had success with POR15 fuel tank sealer, it lasted many years without fail, maybe I was lucky

have heard of others that fail and clog the fuel pump

better to get a new tank if you can

Wehrmachtskanister have a long lasting coating as well. Almost looks like glyptal but I have no idea what it is. Preparation is probably key.

Today’s Jaguar activity: joined another local Eugene Oregon S Type owner, Jerry Liudahl, for a cars & coffee event in nearby Creswell Oregon. The other local S Type owner did not bring his freshly restored one, coming instead in his Lotus Elan roadster.

2 Likes

The more S types I see, the more I am liking their appeal ! Conventional wisdom would have one believe they were not highly received when introduced …

1 Like

Forgot to mention there is a fourth one in my area and if you REALLY want one and a project as well, here’s one available in my area. Thankfully, not my car, or listing.

Checked condition of the Mk7 plugs after 2000 mile trip.

3 Likes

I’d be happy with that!

3 Likes

As they say out here in the west, it don’t go no better than that!

2 Likes

While waiting on a set of jets from Moss, today I made a jet centering tool. We are having a heat wave with temps up over 100 degrees so, I’m not out in the garage much. It gets too expensive to run a third AC unit to keep the garage cool in this extreme heat.

Adjusted the valve clearances. Again technically not a Saloon (Drophead) and sooooo much easier than on the XK or V12! :+1:

Cheers!

5 Likes

A small step for a man … finally closed the trunk, then opened it ! With significant effort unfortunately :sweat_smile:
Seems that no matter how much grease I put in the lock mechanism, it’s working smooth when relaxed, then gets way harder to push once the lids’ seal is squeezed. But I noticed the lock front plate is stamped with key#, so ordered one (same as glovebox #).

2 Likes

Wow, that looks nice. My first Jag, 1958 3.4 auto, OE White. Nothing like as nice as that; if only I knew then what I know now!