What do your XJS keys look like?

I’m curious what variety there is in original XJS keys. I have no original keys for my '89. On my car one key (single side cut) does the ignition and the other key (double side cut) does everything else (doors, trunk, glovebox, gas door). The ignition key is an FT6R and the other key is a X86 / FC7.

Were there ever XJS keys that said “Jaguar” on the key itself? I know there are keys out there with a leaper on them (the big key with leaper is part number JLM476). Is there an ignition key with leaper?

I dont need any keys myself right now–just curious!

I was in the same boat. The keys available in key shops are pretty ugly. I found and bought a Leaper Jag key from dealer, but they are steel, and nobody will cut them! In the end, I found a guy on eBay (located in Michigan) who specializes in reproduction British keys, and got a nice Leyland key that could be cut locally. Looks nice!

1 Like

I made my own…!
Brass ans wood.

Aristides

keys%20008

6 Likes

OK, that deserves some sort of award.

1 Like

1 Like

My “regular” key only locks the rear storage

…hmmm
have one spare
but hadnt really considered if the time came to make one
where would l go…

1 Like

I found a nice replica with Leyland symbol on it via eBay.

1 Like

My ignition key said “Fits FIAT”.

Yes indeed !
I had a 1974 Fiat 124 Coupe and had the same ignition key!

OEM AFAIK

I just got my hands on a black plastic headed key (blank) like yours! Pleased to see that the one that arrived today matches up with what at least some XJS owners have!

Those look exactly like my keys for my ‘88

I no longer have a Jaguar, but I have a Tebbe key with light built in.
I think I have one uncut blank. PM me if any interest.
At the moment I need to check what I have against the door handles I have.

[quote=“dmaggs, post:1, topic:371371, full:true”]
I’m curious what variety there is in original XJS keys. I have no original keys for my '89. On my car one key (single side cut) does the ignition and the other key (double side cut) does everything else (doors, trunk, glovebox, gas door). The ignition key is an FT6R and the other key is a X86 / FC7.

Were there ever XJS keys that said “Jaguar” on the key itself? I know there are keys out there with a leaper on them (the big key with leaper is part number JLM476). Is there an ignition key with leaper?

I dont need any keys myself right now–just curious!
[/quot

IIRC, all my XJS keys ('90 XJ-S, '94 XJS and '95 XJS) have been the same, at least as far as the main “black” key (all Tibbe, of course) … black plastic with “Jaguar” in very small print on the backside and a pushable growler face on the other. You push Mr. Growler and supposedly that activates a tiny light in the key so you can find the hole in the dark (errr, KEYhole :wink:) I guess mine have always arrived with the bulb and/or battery shot (if it has a separate battery for the bulb ?), since I never could get the light to light. :slightly_frowning_face: Anyone know how to open the key up to r/r the bulb and what size/where I can find replacement bulbs? :confused:

Well that’s nifty if your key ever gets stolen, Kirby … The thief will waste their time looking for a Fiat in the parking lot and miss your Jag … :laughing:

Very good question. We have two Jag dealerships here in the DFW area and neither of them even still has a Tibbe key-cutting machine. Same for the European car repair places here, inc. two that just work on Jags. Both of the dealerships got rid of theirs long ago. :confounded: I have heard there is an individual down west of Houston somewhere (IIRC) who bought his own cutting machine a long time ago and will cut keys for $$, but I lost his contact info. long ago and I don’t know if he’s even still around. There also used to be a car key-making vendor in Australia (haven’t seen them on Ebay in awhile) that offered a service where if you will send them photocopies of all sides of your key they can figure out the Tibbe cutting code for it (or if you know how to decipher it yourself just send them the code #) and cut you a new one on some of their aftermarket blanks. It was fairly reasonable $, considering the distance + shipping. The Aussie $ at that time was a bit worse than the U.S. one, too, which helped. The only problem is the delay in shipping to/from Aus. Hopefully you don’t need it in a hurry! :grimacing:

I got my first duplicate from that guy in Australia after I sent him a pic of the key.
The system I think is based on there being only four possible angles for each position.
When I put two different cuts together I can see a difference but not on an individual key.
It must have been twenty years ago and I don’t think the cost was significant.

I just made me a second pair of keys, silver this time to match the remote : )

Aristides

2 Likes

Reviving this just to point out the Triple C Motors in Arizona will cut Tibbe keys with or without code, see Jaguar Replacement Car Keys. I purchased a blank illuminated key on EBay and had my existing one “read” by emailing a picture.

1 Like