What Parts would be useful for XK owners from a wrecked MKVII?

Curious about 4-position switch (Lucas 31524/A) vs 3 position light switches

Does the 4 position include “off”

Does this pic look like a 4 position switch bezel ?

(the last letter is very faded, but looks like an 'F" )

A picture of the back would tell us if it is 3 or 4 position, in which case the 4th position would be FOG.

should be feasible to get a pic of the wiring at the back of the switch

In the meantime is this chrome strip that covers the vertical front windscreen divider fit an XK140 ?

It is from a MK7 and is 15.3" long (387mm)

IMG_20220301_155722101-crop

If you are breaking up the MK VII I would be interested in a few parts! The front upper A arms are unique to the MK VII-IX same as the uprights. They are not the same part as what was used on XK120 they are a different angle.
I would be interested in these upper A arms and uprights.
The little blue under dash lights.
The FNR switch and key
Upper steering column clamp and bolt
Parking brake handle
All these parts would find a good home with me if you are willing to sell them!
Thank you,

I sent you a PM, but in case you missed it,

Yes I can help with all those Parts.
Not sure what an “FNR switch and key” are though?

Is that the ignition key ?

Yes, FNR is a key code for the ignition switch.

This is a “drawer” from a MK7 which measures ~6" x 6" x 2-1/4" at the front 2" on the side

It has a track on each side, which mate with a track on each side of the instrument panel cluster. Not every vehicle is fitted with the racks on the instrument panel

This drawer is not common.

I notice XK120 have them as well and wonder if they may be the same size ?
maybe later XK too ?

I often see radios fitted in this slot

Tony,

The XK 140 FHC and DHC have the same type of drawer, although I don’t know whether they are 100% identical… Don’t have the part number of the Mk VII version, but the XK 140 has part number BD.8820. See pic below, although without the knob.

Bob K.

Hi Bob, it must be different to the one you pictured, (one would think), as the slide rail is attached at the bottom, not the top

The original map drawer in the XK120 FHC was 7" wide and fit in a tray, did not have brass slides. When a radio was fitted they cut out the notch wider to make it fit.
After about 180 cars had been built they increased it to 7-3/16" wide so it could be easily exchanged for a radio, still in a steel tray.
early XK120FHC map drawer 004

After 398 cars had been built they changed it from the tray to a carrier plate above the drawer, and added the brass slides with the channels screwed to the sides, but still 7-3/16" wide. They had already been using the brass extrusions in the Mark V and Mark VII. It was at this point the radius on the upper corners came in. All 120 DHC used this last one.

With XK140 they changed the support system to use the slides in the opposite mode, but still 7-3/16" wide.
XK140 map drawer assy1
XK150 did not have a map drawer.
Mark V had a map drawer 9-1/8" wide with brass slides similar to the late XK120 and Mark VII.
The pull knob is the same part number on all, although I have noted two variations on the exact shape.
Previous to Mark V no models had a map drawer.
I do not have measurements of a Mark VII drawer, so I would be glad if you could take some.

It is in fact 7-3/16" wide and the same in depth ( not 6" as I previously said)

the side wall is 2" high, but slopes up to 2-1/4" at the front

1 Like

That’s interesting, same width as 120 but taller on the veneered face.
If you know the chassis number it came from, you can figure out the part numbers from this.

Can someone tell me why this particular post or Thread not belong in the Classified Section?
To be consistent, that is?

Tony I am chasing some chassis bits the curved bit up over back axle ie bit on photo
I need the one on LH side.
I can organise from freight
Thanks terry
Western Australia

As I recall it began with asking what Mark VII parts were worth saving from a derelict and would go on a 120, not really a sales ad.
Mainly we want to limit the commercial vendors’ monthly specials and things like that.
If someone asks “Who has this part?” and a vendor says “I’ve got that, email me off list.” that would not bring an objection from me.

interesting the rusty steel panel you show, the late cars had 2 say 2 inch holes in the top surface is I guess to let heat escape from radio?

That is correct Rob

As has been obvious from the great expertise available from this sub-forum, many parts are very similar, but not the same as XK parts.

I cannot think of any better (or indeed other) way to determine these facts, and take this opportunity to thank those who have helped to clarify these matters

I do have a separate “for sale” ad in the classifieds, as I do not wish to breach the rules or spirit of this forum.

Not many people wreck an XK these days, so its pretty handy if the Saloon items do fit

I have a bunch of items that are “maybe” fits, and will put up photos shortly

Hi Terry,

I havent forgotten you, some health issues have slowed me up on the cutting

As to the “drawer”, there are a large number of variations, at least 3 for the MK7 alone, and they seem different to XK items, as the slider is in a different location.

(That item is now sold, to a MK9 owner)

I also believe the topic is of genuine educational interest to XK owners, especially those restoring a car with some items missing or damaged

1 Like

I didn’t know the panel was used with a radio. I thought it was only used with the later type map drawer.
Anyway I also had one with the big holes.
XK120_map_drawer 003
The rusty one without holes came from a derelict FHC at Kakuska’s, but there was not enough left of it to determine chassis or body numbers.
XK120_map_drawer 004
I see the dates of the photos are 2006, so we probably attempted at that time to figure out when this minor change was made, unsuccessfully as I remember.

Yes that what consider the late one certaonly 1954 120fhc had this one.
Having collected old valve radios and HF communication receivers they generate a lot of heat so could only think it was sllow it to dissipate?

MK7 headlight embellishers

I have heard they are the same as XK140, or subtly different to both 120/140…150 ?

apologies on the blurry 3rd pic its about 1-3/4" thick, as you can just make out

can anyone expound upon this matter ?

Same deal with this regulator, doesnt have the spare fuses on the cover like an XK120,
is it the same model number as any XK, if not are the internals the same ?

Believed to be from a MKVIIM

My question relates to the way the tacho is mounted in XK ?

MK7 instruments are mounted with screws, so are not the same I have learned,
This one has 3 tabs to mount using screws, however it would be easy to remove those tabs so long as the tacho could still be mounted

(the backwards sweeping tacho in earlier MK7 redline at 5000RPM)

lastly, this washer nozzle was out of a '51 MK7, (which would have been retro-fitted) but it is not correct for MK7 or XK, anyone ever seen one before ?

headlight rims are 140-150
regulator will fit 120
tacho will fit xk140 but needs modified casing which I manufacture
water jet is not jaguar

1 Like